NO 7 100.00%
Resolved Issues 0 0%
Still not got a clue 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post URGENT: 2002 PT Cruiser 2000cc Limited speedo problem

Please note...this is a UK model, manual 5 speed gearbox petrol as far as i'm aware, the speedo is driving by *pinion (mopar Part # 04670082AB) in the gearbox which is connected to **electric sensor (mopar Part # 04707839AA)

Rite guys really need your help here

2002 52 plate pt cruiser with 84000 miles

Speedometer works very erratically - from non existent to 140mph then it splutters/holds back drastically when the needle does bounce round the dial until it goes back down to zero...quite daunting if your doing 70mph and then speedometer wings its way to 140mph and car bucks like a donkey.

Every other dial works, rev counter, fuel & temp gauge fine.

I've done the speedo calibration check and does 20, 65, etc

Any ideas, i've replaced speedo *pinion so far.
Are the **sensors that these pinion spin on known to go faulty?

Any ideas appreciated.....sensible ones as i've seen some suggestions that transmission is on way out lol... (yahoo answers)

Cheers from Scotland & hi....as this is my first post and have a feeling it wont be my last lol
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: URGENT: 2002 PT Cruiser 2000cc Limited speedo problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by scots1 View Post
Please note...this is a UK model, manual 5 speed gearbox petrol as far as i'm aware, the speedo is driving by *pinion (mopar Part # 04670082AB) in the gearbox which is connected to **electric sensor (mopar Part # 04707839AA)

Rite guys really need your help here

2002 52 plate pt cruiser with 84000 miles

Speedometer works very erratically - from non existent to 140mph then it splutters/holds back drastically when the needle does bounce round the dial until it goes back down to zero...quite daunting if your doing 70mph and then speedometer wings its way to 140mph and car bucks like a donkey.

Every other dial works, rev counter, fuel & temp gauge fine.

I've done the speedo calibration check and does 20, 65, etc

Any ideas, i've replaced speedo *pinion so far.
Are the **sensors that these pinion spin on known to go faulty?

Any ideas appreciated.....sensible ones as i've seen some suggestions that transmission is on way out lol... (yahoo answers)

Cheers from Scotland & hi....as this is my first post and have a feeling it wont be my last lol
Not the tranny itself. But the vehicle speed sensor that is sticking OUT of the tranny is your culperate.

Basically what it sounds like to me is the VSS in the tranny is malfunctioning, causing the transmission to believe you are doing way faster or way slower than you actually are, thus causing the ECU to believe your going a different speed, which can cause all kinds of electrical issue that may make the vehicle go a bit nuts. Also it is sending a signal to the ECU telling the computer that your doing a different speed which could be overriding the wheel speed sensors and causing your speedo to go crazy.

Change the VSS and see if that does the trick :-D
Old 20 Mar 2013, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Not the tranny itself. But the vehicle speed sensor that is sticking OUT of the tranny is your culperate.

Basically what it sounds like to me is the VSS in the tranny is malfunctioning, causing the transmission to believe you are doing way faster or way slower than you actually are, thus causing the ECU to believe your going a different speed, which can cause all kinds of electrical issue that may make the vehicle go a bit nuts. Also it is sending a signal to the ECU telling the computer that your doing a different speed which could be overriding the wheel speed sensors and causing your speedo to go crazy.

Change the VSS and see if that does the trick :-D

Yeah VSS in the uk means a different thing to Chrysler stealers here....as last attempt to obtain one ended up with an output sensor....which i believe is only fitted to an automatic box? or am i wrong?
the vss u mean is this part.... image 1 Pinion, Speedometer - SENSOR, Vehicle Speed - 04707839AA | Mopar
Old 27 Mar 2013, 09:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Update to the above....
fitted Vehicle speed sensor and no speedo at all now...everything else working

bonus is...there is no bucking/splutter when driving at speed anymore and the speedo remains in one position..at zero.

However i have noticed if u hold the tach reset button in while turning the key on....it cycles thru the usual 111111 22222 etc etc...tests the dials & when it tests the speedo one...it now only goes to 15mph & between 70-80mph.
Before i fitted new VSS it used to go to 20 65 and i think 120.....

Codes shown
P1684 - battery disconnected in last 50 starts which is correct
P1687 - ??? what is this code?

Cheers
Old 28 Mar 2013, 02:58 am
Senior Cruiser

Scot: p1687 = driver 5 - line 6 -------I dont know what it means.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 11:09 am
Regular Cruiser

p1687 means no cluster bus, and is probably caused by a bad wire. Google it and you will find detailed test procedures.

Tags
speedo sputter fault