Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PT 0300 0302,,0304,,HELP??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2013, 09:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 04 PT 0300 0302,,0304,,HELP??

04 NO TURBO PT..been reading on the 0300 0302 0304 and 0440 codes on here for 2 weeks tryin to fix this thing tryin not to start another thread,,sorry maybe u guys will see something and add to this mess..

start of my trouble been driving with a p0440 fault for months replaced gas cap ,,fault came back been on/off for months ran fine

then 2 weeks ago got gas at different store drove 45 miles stopped let my buddy out car started stuttering misfiring and died?? restarted and it studdered and fopp fopp all the way home 4miles..

next day started fine and ran great to work 45miles....went to lunch and it started again fopp fopp fopp fopp check engine light flashing and died?? would not restart? cranked but no start...let it set till quittin time went back removed batt cable and it started but running rough drove it home 45mph,,,stuttering and missing

next day throwin "oil pressure switch" code and "temp switch" code,,po440 and po300.....and engine runnin rich something code..upper oxygen sensor and lower oxygen sensor faults too

so i replaced the oil pressure switch and the water temp switch...code went away but still p0300 and po440...and was still stuttering...so i thought humm i"ve fouled my plugs,,

replaced plugs and gapped to 38,,,,but i noticed that #3 plug had the gap almost shut...from last time I replaced the plugs prolly 6-8 months ago? I think I may have dropped it down in the head when i was installing it and closed the gap...

after plugs it ran better and smoother than it had in a long time/...drove it all day ran good...parked it and next day started it up. bamm before i got outta the drive way started the same deal stuttering and jerking and quit...whew u still here?

oh and I already put gas treatment in it before the new plugs and stuff and filled up with good gas...2 cans of gas treatment too..

soo it sat for a hr or so and i came back and it fried right up and ran fine all friggin day again??...then bang next day did it again?? wtf?? sooo I replaced the coil even though it and the wires are less than a yr old..no change??

now i"m checking for a good intake seal were I had it apart..sprayed either around the edge and everywere no change? ...

took the intake bolt sout again and its a bitch to get it aligned perfect on the edges..but I got it real close and it ran fine all day again??/

now this morning I start it up in the garage and head out runnin good...made it maybe 2 miles bang started again damm near quit..parked it and rode to work with my buddy....back tonight and started it up, ran great 4 miles and at 60mph started shutting down again??? wth??...stuttered it home and got almost home and the check engine light quit flashing and it started runnin good again?? damm..

pulled in the garage popped the hood to check for leaks?,,started stuttering again...damm i"m tired..lol...and running lk shit again..

I"ve changed the crank sensor last summer and the cam sensor..new computer last year,,new battery new altnator..new fuel pump..

things I havent changed yet...upper and lower oxygen sensors,,timing belt,,oh it has 135,000 miles and its an auto trans..

tired of throwin $ at it and gettin the same thing..I"m thinking maybe the computer is bad again? I"ve checked the grounds? could the timing belt be stretching just enought to cause this?? should i change the ox sensors?? even though the codes are not there?..could a timing belt do that and then run good?..

sorry hope u can understand this rant...shootin duck here but not givin up so think it out and drop me some ideas..thanks for reading this mess.

Last edited by drumrooster; 21 Mar 2013 at 09:39 pm.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 12:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT 0300 0302,,0304,,HELP??

440 code: evaporative system problem. Your engine could be taking gulp of raw gas occasionally. Check all hoses from the gas tank to the intake manifold for cracks/splits. It gets complicated. Do more reading.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The timing belt wouldn't be intermittent - but you do know you're on borrowed time with the riming belt, right?
Were the cam and crank senors Mopar? If not, I'll bet that's your problem - lotsa posts here about aftermarket sensors giving headaches - should trip a code, but often doesn't.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Mar 2013, 08:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Could also be fuel injectors. But my money is on a vac leak. A compression check wouldn't be a bad idea at this point.
The cam sensor is still on the table. In fact I would look at the harness for both sensors. Carefully inspect it from sensors to were it disappears into the main harness.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 22 Mar 2013 at 09:03 am.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 08:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

well it sat till today and I started it up this morning and it ran rough..studdered and fluttered...so befor I start droppin $$ on sensors again I went and got a big ass bottle of injector cleaner and poured it in the full tank of gas..started it upa nd it missed some for a minute or 2 then started getting better? so I drove it to town and back and it ran fine..prolly drove it 25 miles to day and its running better? smooth so far...BUT/// today was a warmer day here in KY ...any thought s on something causing me trouble when its colder outside??..I"ll keep ya posted if it flairs up again..

thansk fro reading my long post..I had put 2 bottles of gas treatment init already so i didnt think about injector cleaner??/ I guess thats better for the injectors?/
Old 24 Mar 2013, 09:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

wow the temp dropped here in kY again..lol...it sat till this evening from last nite ..started it and its started missing a little,,but no check engine light? just a slight miss..gonna drive it tomorrow and see if its there again..geeze..would a tep sensor cause anything weard to happen? i replaced it but it could still be bad?
Old 25 Mar 2013, 10:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

A bad catalytic converter ..

Old 25 Mar 2013, 03:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

just drove it about 25 miles and it ran fine? anyway to check the converter? no faults showin now?
Old 25 Mar 2013, 10:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hello, I have been having the same exact problems as you described. I have replaced all kinds of sensors, spark plugs....etc. for about 6 months this has been going on. I finally broke down and took it to the dealership. They found oil in my PCM, so they cleaned it out and said everything should be fine. Next day ..same thing happened! I just took back to the dealer today and he said if they find oil in the PCM again I will have to replace my wire harnessing. I am definitely not a mechanic, I am just a girl who wants my car to run. No one seems to know.

So...have you figured out your issues? I need help!! Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks! Wendy
Old 26 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumrooster View Post
just drove it about 25 miles and it ran fine? anyway to check the converter? no faults showin now?
Here
How can I tell if my catalytic converter is... — Yahoo! Autos