Advertisements
problem after timing belt replacement

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2013, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default problem after timing belt replacement

I had a leaking waterpump, so I installed a new timing belt /pullies/waterpump. after the install ,I have a few gliches. the car starts and drives good however, when its cold it will not idle, it runs for a few seconds the quits.If I rev it some, and it warms up slightly, it runs but then the battery light comes on. if I shut the car off, and restart it the light goes off for a few minutes then comes back on. I checked all the wires and they everything seems to be conected . Before the waterpump replacement it ran fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far this forum has been a great help. Thanks in advance
Old 23 Mar 2013, 02:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: problem after timing belt replacement

i don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it really would seem that one of your cam gears is a tooth off. not idling right is a classic symptom of that. did you take the intake off when you changed it? i know there are two electrical connectors by the TB that can be switched accidentally. did you do the key dance and check for codes? i would also make sure the battery has a full charge and that all the power wires are in good condition and tight. my ground cable broke by the starter and the car started OK but had weird issues.

what year? what trim? is it manual or automatic?
im only asking so others can help you farther. i've already added my $.02
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 23 Mar 2013 at 02:33 pm.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 08:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Its a 2001 limited, automatic ,and I did not remove the intake. I can recheck the timing tomorrow but believe it is correct, because after it wams up it idles fine, and that wouldn`t explain the battery/ charging light coming on. I suppose it could be that the alternator quit but it seems unlikely . I did remove the plastic intake cover and checked all the connectors there, thinking that perhaps I accidently unpluged one. but everything looks to be conected.

Last edited by toad281; 23 Mar 2013 at 08:10 pm.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I checked the timing today and it is OK I removed the air box , cleaned the battery terminals and added an extra supply and ground wire. while in there I noticed that the Idle air control valve had gotten damaged, it must have hit the cowling while I was replacing the timing belt . [something to watch for if anyone is doing this job] So tomorrow I`m off to get a new valve, and a replacement altenator , hopefully that will cure the gremlins .
Old 24 Mar 2013, 02:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you're lucky!! if you aren't in a huge hurry, the cheapest place for those is ebay. i believe the dealer wants $109, ebay they're $40

when i broke mine, i picked up a whole used throttle body with the IAC on ebay for $20

2001 pt cruiser iac | eBay
Old 25 Mar 2013, 03:29 am
Senior Cruiser

I would change the idle valve first. Then check the EGR valve. Low idle speed could cause the battery light to go on. Cold idle=1300. Hot idle=700.
Old 25 Mar 2013, 02:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

oh boy,, I changed out the idle air control valve today the car seems to run good, but now I have a engine light on . [battery light also comes on as it did before] I did the Key dance an got two codes... p 1684 & p1193 . I tried looking them up but no help. Does anyone know what these codes are? I have not replaced the altenator yet [I did buy one] I was hoping that I could find out about the codes first.. as replacing that alt. is not much fun and I dont want to do it, if it does not need it. Also, does anyone know how to clear the codes? I thought I read somewhere that disconecting the battery for a period of time will do it , but I would like to be sure. thanks for all the input so far I am indebted to all that have posted.
Old 25 Mar 2013, 02:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

P1684 is the code for the battery being unhooked within the last 50 starts and is no big deal. The other code refers to the IAT sensor. I wonder if it got damage also.

01 2>4L rough idle when warm w/p1193 code

Last edited by Ray_Dockrey; 25 Mar 2013 at 03:00 pm.
Old 25 Mar 2013, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thank you for the reply on the codes. I took it to the local auto parts store and had them check the altenator . Looks like I`ll be replacing that in the morning and checking the AIT sensor. FUN FUN FUN [I didn`t need all the skin on those nuckles anyway.] thanks again
Old 26 Mar 2013, 07:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Toad: change the IAT sensor first. The computer gets a signal from the IAT and adjusts the output of the alternator! 2birds with 1 stone?