PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Drum Brake Problem

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2013, 02:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Rear Drum Brake Problem

Installed new rear shoes, new drums, wheel cylinders and new hardware kit (springs and adjuster star wheel). Bled the brakes, right rear, left front, left rear, right front went through a bottle of fluid. Problem I am having is the right rear runs a lot hotter than the left. I adjusted both star wheels the same amount of slight drag and after a 15 mile drive the right reart is hot, left warm. Readjusted the right rear again and same thing after a drive, get out and touch the R R drum is hot, L R warm. Any advice / directions?
Old 23 Mar 2013, 04:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Drum Brake Problem

You might want to try swapping drums side to side and see what happens. Make sure the shoes aren't mixed up (ie--two trailing shoes on the same side). Otherwise, if you are satisified you have the initial adjustment correct and it isn't hot to the point of smelling like burning brakes, just run it a while and see if it wears in.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 04:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just another thought...make sure the parking brake is fully releasing...cable on right side could be corroded causing parking brake to not fully release.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 06:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Carl, I'll try the drum swap and see what happens. The brake shoes are the same style and size as the old one's.... equal length friction material front shoe to back shoe, both sides. The car is a manual trans and I have always used the park brake, the cable is free. I checked it when I had the brakes off during the swap, pull the park brake, the spring collapsed like it should and released. Possible the R R brake hose causing a problem???
Old 23 Mar 2013, 06:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If the hose is old,deteriorated, soft...it could be collapsing when the brake pedal is released and thus not allowing the wheel cylinder to fully release.

btw... my earlier comment about mixing up the shoes refers to the fact that, since it does most of the braking, there is more material on the trailing shoe...it is sometimes easy to mix up the shoes and install, say, two trailing shoes on the same side.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 07:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Carl, I know what you're saying but mine have equal amount of friction on front shoe as rear shoe. Just same as what I removed. This problem I'm have is ovly affecting the right rear for some odd reason. Do drum brakes for this vehicle have shorter front shoe friction than the rear? I don't know?? I think I might order both sides rear axle brake hose / tube assy to eliminate another potential link to this problem.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 09:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Haven't had the drums off of my PT in nearly 2 years so got out the repair manual and took a look. It appears that the PT rear brakes are of the non-servo design which means that the shoe material will be the same on both leading and trailing shoes (as you say you observed). Sorry if my earlier comments regarding this mislead you...the shoe with more material is the trailing shoe only in a servo brake system.

Anyway, if the hoses seem spongy, replace them.

Also, even if the drums are new there may be some slight out of roundness...that is why my suggestion to swap drums side to side to see if problem follows the drum or maybe even goes away.

Last edited by Carl48; 23 Mar 2013 at 09:20 pm.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 08:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

One observation. On the drum with the problem there is a large weight welded to one side for balance? I have the drums painted and the paint is all blistered opposite side of where the weight is attached. Problem with that drum. Pulled the drum and there is some overheat blueing on about half of the machined surface where the shoes grab. The left side drum has no weight and is no problem. I think I will go buy another drum that has no weights and see what happens.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 11:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The weight is for balance...some drums have them, some don't. The drum may be a bit out of round...just becaues it is new doesn't mean it is perfectly round especially nowadays with all the offshore crap auto parts. A good brake shop (Fred's Brakes on Auburn Rd.) could check it and machine it if necessary but since you said there is blueing the safe bet is to get a new drum since the blueing could indicate weakening of the metal.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 05:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by My02RedRide View Post
I think I will go buy another drum that has no weights and see what happens.
The weight shouldn't make any difference but anyway, let us know how it works out.