PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
TEMP GAUGE READING TO LOW

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2013, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default TEMP GAUGE READING TO LOW

Its had the sensor changed as well as thermostat. No change. Idle is high arount 11 to 18k. Have had the p0128 on accausation. Swapped the AIC nothing. can't find any vac leak. Throttle rod setting against the adjuster. So doesn't appear to be tps.

03 n/a .

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 28 Mar 2013 at 04:03 pm.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 06:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: TEMP GAUGE READING TO LOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Its had the sensor changed as well as thermostat. No change. Idle is high arount 11 to 18k. Have had the p0128 on accausation. Swapped the AIC nothing. can't find any vac leak. Throttle rod setting against the adjuster. So doesn't appear to be tps.

03 n/a .
Try out a higher rated temp thermo. I had the same issue, blew through 6 thermostats in 3 months thinking they were sticking open and i was just cycling through thermos.

Turned the weather was cooling the coolant in my radiator so fast that by the time the thermo opened i was shooting ice cold coolant into the block, thus keeping the temp guage below the 1/2 mark all the time, and when it did go up to 1/2 it had been after about 2 hours driving. Threw in one rated a few degrees higher than OEM and havent seen the issue since.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mine is only going up the first line from the bottom. About one third of normal. All the heat you can stand.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Mar 2013, 07:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Mine is only going up the first line from the bottom. About one third of normal. All the heat you can stand.
Check all the hoses for a blockage as well. Might help ya to have a power flush done to the radiator. To be running that cold it sounds like there is NO thermostat, but we know thats not the case.

Only thing i can think of is the coolant is getting stopped up on the intake from the radiator into the block. If it was on the return you would have overheating i think so.....yeah check everything out down there.

Another easy trick is dilute the coolant a bit with water, will cause it to heat faster, and maybe give it a chance to warm up.

Do you use pre diluted 50/50 or do you dilute it yourself? I've accidentally added to much straight coolant to the mix before and had heating issues.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mix my own. Hot everywhere. All hoses ,heater, and reading from my scan tool 159 to 165.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Mar 2013, 01:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

It IS getting hot, just not reporting correctly. I'd assume in WV it's not Minnesota / Maine frigid ever ...

I'd ensure it's a Mopar sensor for your specific vehicle (two sensors can be EXACTLY the same externally but have different internal values.)

IDK what else could cause this. I recall a Lady at work who had this problem, I brought her a new sensor (I had before I owned a PT; don't ask) but she'd traded it.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 04:25 am
Senior Cruiser

I would change the thermostat again. Mopar and Stant used to be quality products. Burp the system. Your gauge should read halfway after 5-10 minutes of driving. The idle is a different issue. A stuck pcv valve might cause it.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 04:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Get a hand-held non-contact infrared thermometer and with the engine as warmed up as you can get it, aim it at the thermostat housing...should read approximately the thermostat rating (195F according to the repair manual). Aim it at the upper radiator hose near the thermostat...should read about the same.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 04:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
The idle is a different issue.
Just wondering if the idle is too high because the PCM thinks the engine is too cold ???
Old 29 Mar 2013, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
It IS getting hot, just not reporting correctly. I'd assume in WV it's not Minnesota / Maine frigid ever ...

I'd ensure it's a Mopar sensor for your specific vehicle (two sensors can be EXACTLY the same externally but have different internal values.)

IDK what else could cause this. I recall a Lady at work who had this problem, I brought her a new sensor (I had before I owned a PT; don't ask) but she'd traded it.
Had three different sensors in it. Not sure if any were Mopar. But no change so far. Might have to consider that. Yes on the weather. Doesn't seem to matter. Heater warms up in timely fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
I would change the thermostat again. Mopar and Stant used to be quality products. Burp the system. Your gauge should read halfway after 5-10 minutes of driving. The idle is a different issue. A stuck pcv valve might cause it.
The thing is I put a new stant t stat in and looked as if it had already been changed. Found original owner and he confirmed. he had tried the sensor a while back same results. Will check the PCB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Get a hand-held non-contact infrared thermometer and with the engine as warmed up as you can get it, aim it at the thermostat housing...should read approximately the thermostat rating (195F according to the repair manual). Aim it at the upper radiator hose near the thermostat...should read about the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Just wondering if the idle is too high because the PCM thinks the engine is too cold ???
That was a thought I had. But the TPS doesn't move the throttle plate. It's just sitting on the set screw. Far as the idle goes I'm going to try something Nitro suggested. Putting my hand over the throttle body to rule out any chance of a vac leak. If it doesn't die straight off. Then it has to be sucking air somewhere? Thanks everyone and keep throwing out any ideas you have. I am going to see if I can come up with a infrared or temp probe to test it manually.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com