PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Tensioner installation 2002 PT

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2013, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Tensioner installation 2002 PT

2002 PT with 2.4L. This one part is killing me. I canít seem to get it on right. After multiple attempts, I got the Tensioner bolt on one way and didnít seem like I had enough room to get the timing belt on. SO I removed it to try again. So using the pictures provided, how should this Tensioner be lined up the socket it bolts into? I already tried the flat side of label ďAĒ in photo to ď1Ē of socket.
Thanks Kevin (South Eastern PA)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TensionerBack.jpg (90.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg PT.jpg (14.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg TensionerFront.jpg (90.8 KB, 98 views)
Old 31 Mar 2013, 12:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Tensioner installation 2002 PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by krod1776 View Post
I got the Tensioner bolt on one way and didnít seem like I had enough room to get the timing belt on.
Kevin, if it was on, that's the way it's supposed to go.

I'd put belt on, then install tensioner, you can 'walk' belt over top gears if you need to adjust a tooth or two.

If everything goes smoothly and it seems right, it's guaranteed wrong-
Not a fun job!
zamfir2 likes this.
Old 31 Mar 2013, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks I guess I'll try again, just need some more patience. I was going to lose it yesterday.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

KROD,

I'm having the same issue. Were you able to get the belt back on? When I install the tensioner, my belt goes about 2/3 of the way and is very tight attempting to get it over the tensioner which also makes it very hard to keep the timing marks aligned. Spent about 2 hours last night pulling the tensioner off and back on again, realigning timing marks and attempting to get the belt on.

Last edited by Smely; 14 Nov 2013 at 11:44 am.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 02:56 am
Senior Cruiser

krod; from the pics and a manual, I believe there is a 'tensioner assy' V- shaped arm that goes in your 2nd pic hole first. Then the tensioner pulley gets bolted to that. Leave the pull pin in place until the belt is on. --- a 1/8" allen wrench can be used if you loose the pull pin.

Busted; help me out here. You da man!
Old 15 Nov 2013, 03:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

pt06,

I have the same set up as krod. The tensioner is supposed to be the OEM replacement for the one that was pulled off. That's all that came off of the engine was the tensioner with no bracket. I just tried putting the belt on again and it is just a fraction from going over the tensioner. Very frustrating.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
krod; from the pics and a manual, I believe there is a 'tensioner assy' V- shaped arm that goes in your 2nd pic hole first. Then the tensioner pulley gets bolted to that. Leave the pull pin in place until the belt is on. --- a 1/8" allen wrench can be used if you loose the pull pin.

Busted; help me out here. You da man!
I have not jumped in because I haven't used a first design kit. Most convert to the second design on here. Other than using a wrench to pull the belt to the tensioner side to get all the slack they can. Not sure if I have anything relevant.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Nov 2013, 04:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I have not jumped in because I haven't used a first design kit. Most convert to the second design on here. Other than using a wrench to pull the belt to the tensioner side to get all the slack they can. Not sure if I have anything relevant.
Hey Busted,
Does the upgrade make it easier to put the belt on? Also, reading the posts, do I have to remove everything and modify the plastic cover to install it?
Old 15 Nov 2013, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, belts on......funny how it just takes someone mentioning something in their post that joggles the mind. Once I got the slack out of the belt from the other side I had enough to slide the belt over the tensioner. Spun it around several times and all of the timing marks are aligned. Now to see if she fires up. Great forum.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 09:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smely View Post
OK, belts on......funny how it just takes someone mentioning something in their post that joggles the mind. Once I got the slack out of the belt from the other side I had enough to slide the belt over the tensioner. Spun it around several times and all of the timing marks are aligned. Now to see if she fires up. Great forum.
Great to hear, i love happy endings. I would take good detailed pictures. of the engine with the timing marks lined up. for reference further down the line just in case problems crop up. The pic can help rule out possibilities. If someone says is the timing right. You got pic to prove one way or another.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com