PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine swap to small block Chevy V-8

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2013, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default engine swap to small block Chevy V-8

DOES ANYONE HAVE KNOLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE WITH THIS. ARE THERE KITS OUT THERE OR INSTRUCTIONS? PLEASE LET ME HEAR FROM YOU. BY THE WAY MINE IS AN 2005 TOURING CAR. THANKS
Old 31 Mar 2013, 09:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: engine swap to small block Chevy V-8

Google's your friend. It seems there are several kits available. But if you don't know how to Google this, I'm willing to bet you're not qualified to convert an I4 FWD PT to a V8 RWD configuration.

(sorry not trying to be nasty just the fact that even those of us who have years working on cars consider this a very advanced and difficult conversion)
Old 31 Mar 2013, 09:50 pm
Banned

Check on YouTube , they are generally converted to rwd though.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 10:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to PT_Panel

ptbud, first welcome and it is proper to introduce yourself seeing this is your first post. I don't know who hokie is but that isn't the way we answer some one on this forum. We are here to help with answers that will help people out that are either curious about something or need some expertise. There is a guy from Hawaii that has a conversion going on but it has been a while since he has been on here he was close to being done with his and use search on here to find his thread. There is a company in Tenn that makes a drive train and frame and basically put your body on it. Do some research, quite a project and LOTS of BUCKS. Good Luck.
pluminator and NitroPT like this.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Panel View Post
ptbud, first welcome and it is proper to introduce yourself seeing this is your first post. I don't know who hokie is but that isn't the way we answer some one on this forum. We are here to help with answers that will help people out that are either curious about something or need some expertise. There is a guy from Hawaii that has a conversion going on but it has been a while since he has been on here he was close to being done with his and use search on here to find his thread. There is a company in Tenn that makes a drive train and frame and basically put your body on it. Do some research, quite a project and LOTS of BUCKS. Good Luck.

^^^^
Old 02 Apr 2013, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Home made that showed up at a PT show in Virginia...

Old 02 Apr 2013, 11:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Panel View Post
Agreed. we do not insult other members level of experience or degrade their dignity on this forum.

I've seen it done. I've also seen some 5.7 Hemi's out in Wisconsin.

It can be done, it will be hard to do, it will take a LOT of modification to the engine bay, firewall, frame and drivetrain but it CAN be done :-)
Old 03 Apr 2013, 08:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have thought about doing a V8 in my cruiser when the I4 goes caput, but I was going to keep it in the family with a crate 360!
Old 03 Apr 2013, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not to insult anyone......most people that venture into doing a engine conversion do not finish the project. Even the easy early V8 kits from Hooker for Vega's which is one of the easiest ever many never finished. This is NOT a causal task and really requires more then average modding skills.
You may want to look for unfinished projects like this in places like Hemmings Motor news. You may get lucky and find a partial PT engine conversion for a great price that you could attempt to finish?
I have done at least a dozen or so weird conversion myself. The weirdest was a 67 Olds 442 converting it to a 455 in the rear using a Buick Riviera trans-axle. the other was a 1959 MGA were I did a blown small block Chevy in it.

Good Luck with your venture!
Old 03 Apr 2013, 07:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Not to insult anyone......most people that venture into doing a engine conversion do not finish the project. Even the easy early V8 kits from Hooker for Vega's which is one of the easiest ever many never finished. This is NOT a causal task and really requires more then average modding skills.
You may want to look for unfinished projects like this in places like Hemmings Motor news. You may get lucky and find a partial PT engine conversion for a great price that you could attempt to finish?
I have done at least a dozen or so weird conversion myself. The weirdest was a 67 Olds 442 converting it to a 455 in the rear using a Buick Riviera trans-axle. the other was a 1959 MGA were I did a blown small block Chevy in it.

Good Luck with your venture!
Thanks. I wasn't trying to insult the original poster. But I was trying to make a very clear point that a V8 Conversion isn't something that is easy. Based on the way the question was asked, I wasn't sure if it was someone trolling or someone who has no idea. So I tried to walk the fine line between flaming him, and giving him a firm answer that let him know that it was probably beyond his ability level.

Now I base this having many years working on cars, and many years of seeing people ask silly things. Some are just folks who think, hey let me just drop a V8 in and it'll go fast. These folks often simply don't know better, and are trying to learn. So scaring them often will help them realize if they want to learn about modifying cars that learning the basics of routine stuff like oil changes, plug changes, etc is often a good idea before basic modifications. Then after that, more difficult and custom things. I guess I might have gone overboard in that regard as I felt this person had no clue as to what they were getting into based on the wording of the question.

So to anyone who I might have offended, I didn't mean to offend anyone. And I didn't mean to flame the poster. I simply meant to let them firmly know that a V8 swap can be difficult. And in something like a 4 cylinder FWD vehicle with almost no space, it's not something for those of us with lots of experience, let alone someone who needs to build up experience in other areas first.

With all of that said though, I do love when people want to do complex projects. It shows a desire to try new things, to learn and such. So again, I'm sorry if I was a bit "over the top", I really simply meant to let them know a V8 swap is a serious thing. Very very serious.