PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broken timing belt - have questions

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2013, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Broken timing belt - have questions

My daughter has 2002 base trim, auto trans. 118k miles and in good condition. No other issues.
The 8th digit in VIN is "B" which I think indicates the car is 2.4L engine; it is for sure DOHC and timing belt is for sure broken.
She was driving on expressway ~75mph. Car stopped running and check engine light turned on. Would not restart, towed home.

Today we will be calling shops for estimates. I know a couple local mechanics that I do trust.
I will also look into doing the job myself (rate myself as competent home mechanic).

Any recommendation on a supplier for a 'kit'? (Quick search online found kits from $150 to $300)
Is there more than belt, idler, tensioner, waterpump, cover and gaskets/seals that should be replaced?
What do you think about replacing camshaft seals and front crank seal; while it is apart?

Any tips or recommendations for doing the job myself?
I have torque wrenches and a few different wheel pullers. Any specialty tools needed?

If I take on the job, I will most likely buy a Haynes manual for instruction.
Also intend to do compression test after completing the job (hoping valves did not hit valves).

Thanks
Old 01 Apr 2013, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Broken timing belt - have questions

Lerts start by saying that the 2.4 ltr engine is a non-interference engine so the valves can't hit the piston tops BUT the opposing valves can hit each other if the belt breaks at high speed which unfortunately might be your case. You wont' be able to tell until you get it back together after the belt change.

A lot of us bought the "kit" which includes the items you mentioned from RockAuto Parts Catalog but you can get the individual parts if you desire.

The dealer or competent mechanic will charge anywhere from $900 to $1200 without parts but many have done it themselves. It is a long and fairly complicated process and the hardest part is lining the cam wheels back perfectly. Many have come here after the job by themselves or by a mechanic with a shaky idle that indicates that things weren't lined up right.

You in the Tech & Performance section of the forum and if yo search to find the "HOW TO" thread, there's about 5 different posts inside that thread that has hints and instructions for the Do-It-Yourself person like yourself that wants to try it.
cruserdad1976 likes this.
Old 01 Apr 2013, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Lerts start by saying that the 2.4 ltr engine is a non-interference engine so the valves can't hit the piston tops BUT the opposing valves can hit each other if the belt breaks at high speed which unfortunately might be your case. You wont' be able to tell until you get it back together after the belt change.

A lot of us bought the "kit" which includes the items you mentioned from RockAuto Parts Catalog but you can get the individual parts if you desire.

The dealer or competent mechanic will charge anywhere from $900 to $1200 without parts but many have done it themselves. It is a long and fairly complicated process and the hardest part is lining the cam wheels back perfectly. Many have come here after the job by themselves or by a mechanic with a shaky idle that indicates that things weren't lined up right.

You in the Tech & Performance section of the forum and if yo search to find the "HOW TO" thread, there's about 5 different posts inside that thread that has hints and instructions for the Do-It-Yourself person like yourself that wants to try it.
Also there is a thread that may be of interest if you are also doing the seals. Harmonic balancer removal tip and tricks. Helps with alternative tools to remove And install the crank sprocket and balancer. EBay had the kits also. Get the free shipping.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Apr 2013, 03:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you
I suck at the search function on this type of bbs ...I searched before posting and found no how to or diy posts. I will search more.

<shrug>
It is what it is at this point but hoping for best on valves ...or other damage for that matter

I will update as this repair moves forward
Old 01 Apr 2013, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragmop View Post
Thank you
I suck at the search function on this type of bbs ...I searched before posting and found no how to or diy posts. I will search more.

<shrug>
It is what it is at this point but hoping for best on valves ...or other damage for that matter

I will update as this repair moves forward
Will keep an eye out for ya.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Apr 2013, 05:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragmop View Post
Is there more than belt, idler, tensioner, waterpump, cover and gaskets/seals that should be replaced?
What do you think about replacing camshaft seals and front crank seal; while it is apart?
I had a new thermostat put in since water pump was being done.
I have not heard of cam/crank seals being problem areas, and did not have mine replaced.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Apr 2013, 08:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Mine crank seal was leaking but just a small bit. I had the mechanic replace the seals while he was already in the area.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 08:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have two firm estimates in $800-$850 range. Both people I talked too seemed familiar with that engine and procedure and possibility of damage from valves hitting valves.
Both also said if valve damage, cost to repair that would be $800ish but cannot be sure until open it to find what is actually damaged.
So, I feel good about the mechanics I have talked to.
Based on those conversations, the job is involved and tricky due to space in the engine compartment.

We have decisions to make.

Is there a good place on front to attach a strap for towing? (Her apartment is a few miles from my house; and one shop is a few blocks from my house. I would like to avoid towing charges)
Old 02 Apr 2013, 10:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not really. K frame is just behind the wheels. Call around you might find a deal on towing. Also ask for old parts back. Always good to see what got replaced.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Apr 2013, 11:13 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm sure you've already done this but you said the check engine light came on. Did you check thE codes? Only ask because it could be something else. Like cam or crank sensor. Those will stop it from starting for sure. Why do you say you know for sure the timing belt is broke? Have you actually checked? You can remove the cam sensor and have someone turn the car over. If the cam shaft spins then its not the timing belt. Just trying to save you from getting it to a shop and they get it All apart and then you get a call saying you belt was fine and that it's something else. You could luck out and save 850$
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.