Advertisements
My 01 PT is Possessed! Please Help

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lolo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2013, 11:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy My 01 PT is Possessed! Please Help

Been stalking this site for about a month and decided to join, hopefully get some help. Sorry about the length of the post!

About a month ago my 01 started having some problems. Each new problem seems to start within about 48 hours from the last. I have an 01 limited with 156,000 miles, 2.4 liter. About a month ago the car started stuttering and intermittenly overheating. Had a diehard pt friend take a look and he told me it was the air conditioning compressor unit. Unplugged the unit and it seemed to stop the stuttering.

Two days later was driving and the car just died. No warning, just died. When I tried to start it, there was no crank, no click of the starter. Jiggled a few things and it started. Replaced the camshaft position sensor and the car drove fine for two days before dying again. This time started right up but continued dying. Drove okay for a few more days and the car died again and would not crank. Started after about 30 minutes, now it sometimes cranks right back up, sometimes won't start for a day. A few days ago, wouldn't start at all for about 8 hours. When it did start, the fan came on as soon as it started. Car is still overheating, just had it diagnosed and was told the fan is getting no power and needs replaced. Could not diagnose the stalling issue because of the overheating.

The timing belt is good, or so I've been told. I've been told can be anything from the computer to the key chip? Any help would be greatly appreciated, running out of money replacing things, lol.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 12:20 am
Banned

Lightbulb Re: My 01 PT is Possessed! Please Help

Ok so far you have replaced the cam sensor. From what I read the fan has not been replaced. The word on the board is only buy oem for the cam sensor.

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 02 Apr 2013 at 12:59 am.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 01:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: My 01 PT is Possessed! Please Help

Sorry, I tend to ramble. The cam sensor is OEM, I have not yet replaced the fan, have replaced the thermostat and gasket though. It does not always overheat, seems to die more than overheat. I have also cleaned the cables and reset the computer. I forgot to mention earlier that my check engine dummy light has never come on, two computers have gotten no reading from the car computer, and the only reading I got from the key trick is that the computer has been reset within the last 50 starts. I have been one frustrated momma the past few months with this car lol!
Old 02 Apr 2013, 05:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Look into having your ignition cylinder replaced.
When it doesn't turn over, try pushing in on key and see if that makes a diference.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Apr 2013, 08:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

I will look into the ignition cylinder, thank you. When it refuses to start I have tried pushing in on the key, pulling it out a little, jiggling every wire under the hood, jump starting it, unplugging the battery, and just about everything else I can think of.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 11:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Check your wires going to your cam and crank sensor. Could be a short. And if you had to unplug your compressor to stop it from stumbling then your fan needs replaced. It only stumbled when you had defrost on right? If so fan should be replaced and that might fix your overheating problem.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: My 01 PT is Possessed! Please Help

So, just fixed the fan myself. This may make me sound like a dumb blonde but this morning I popped the hood and was tracing the wiring harness from the cam sensor. At a point it splices off into some part, don't have any idea what it is lol. I unplugged it from there and noticed that the metal piece inside was very dirty. stuck a toothpick in to it to clean some of the gunk off, plugged it back in and wouldn;t you know, everytime the car gets to the halfway mark the fan now kicks on and does its job! I also bought a new chip key this morning and so far it is running smooth and hasn't died. Only time will tell!!!!!!!!
UptownSport likes this.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 03:13 pm
Young Cruiser

You figured it out! Sounds like a smart blonde to me.

You're from Denver?
Wish I were back in Colorado. We used to live in the Pinery in Parker.
Now we live in poopy Oklahama.
Old 02 Apr 2013, 04:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru View Post
You figured it out! Sounds like a smart blonde to me.

You're from Denver?
Wish I were back in Colorado. We used to live in the Pinery in Parker.
Now we live in poopy Oklahama.
Tow directions to every highway. If that is home for you. Then you should find a way back there.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com