Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rearend Mystery Guesses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2013, 09:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rearend Mystery Guesses

And the winner is....Right rear tire was missing 1 lug nut lug nut and the lug on either side of it could be taken off by hand, and the last 2 others barely needed a wrench to take them off. Otherwise all was fine. I replaced springs and shocks in the rear for the hell of it both were very old if not original. The on the front 1 lug nut on one tire and 2 on another an air power impact wrench could not remove. I had to stand on a 24" breaker bar with an 18" pipe on the end. Lesson learned never trust to service monkeys at NTB. They had put on 4 new tires and aligned it the Friday before.

OK lets see who guesses correctly. Today on the way to work on a 40MPH ramp from 93 to 95 something let loose and now I have a bad vibration and rattle/clank over about 50mph. From just looking under the bumper with it on the ground all looks OK, but we all know that will change once I get it up in the air. Anyone want to guess what let go?

If you are correct you will get the public admiration of all your peers here on the sight as you are announced to be the winner later this weekend.

Last edited by smartieab; 07 Apr 2013 at 09:44 am. Reason: update
Old 05 Apr 2013, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rearend Mystery Guesses

To actually feel a vibration it has to be a shock issue. Or the main bolt on the watts link, never heard of that one. lug nuts come to mine as well. wheel bearing would have to be about ready to fall out if that's it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Apr 2013, 09:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Did you throw a wheel weight? I have had that happen especially the stick on kind.
Old 05 Apr 2013, 10:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Did you throw a wheel weight? I have had that happen especially the stick on kind.
That would certainly give vibration, but not rattle/clank...
Bell crank/Watts link?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Apr 2013, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

HHHMMMMM a wheel weight, I hadn't thought of that and I did just get new tires Friday. I am going to have to take a look. Wheel weight might becasuing enough of a vibe to tax the shocks I know are toast. I am going to have to look
Old 05 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would be surprised if it were a rear wheel weight, shock or watts link. And I am not so sure that your noise is from the rear end? The turn you say you did at the speed place the front suspension under stress and not so much the rear. If you had broke a shock bolt you would be getting a lot more noise then vibration. If a wheel weight did dislodge from the wheel it must have been a few of them @ 1-3 once or more. That's is a lot of weight. It appears that you are not saying the vibration is at any one area of the car and that is why I tend to rule out a wheel weight. The watts link does not really have components that would have partially broke and then suddenly caused your described condition. Again this is IMO ruling out the rear end? Now in the worst scenario regarding the rear axle is that you twisted either the axle or control arms causing a rear mis-alignment. But once again I doubt that happen it takes much more force then your incident to cause that. My guess is something on the front suspension is needing attention or the exhaust system?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 05 Apr 2013 at 12:38 pm.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just from recent experience. My guess would be the rear bumper fascia. I am currently trying to fix my rear bumper rattle. found that the fasteners that hold the fascia to the body had somehow come loose. found some on eBay 15 for $15.
2002 N/A 5 speed. Injen short ram intake, E3 spark plugs, KYB gas adjust shocks and struts, Eibach rear bar, New control arms, watts link, slotted and drilled rotors, stainless steel brake lines as soon as I get GT calipers.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartieab View Post
Right rear tire was missing 1 lug nut lug nut and the lug on either side of it could be taken off by hand, and the last 2 others barely needed a wrench to take them off.
Lesson learned never trust to service monkeys.

Check to see lug nuts didn't damage wheel when it was loose, they will, and then it'll come loose again.

And I fixed the other quote for you
Old 15 Apr 2013, 04:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I can't help it but when I saw this I saw it as "Rearend Mystery Gasses" that is just gross.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH