PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Intake Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2013, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Intake Mod

Hello Everyone,
I have a question about an intake mod for my 08 pt. I am installing an airaid universal cone filter. Doing this requires that I remove my airbox. At the bottom of the airbox there is a hose that is connected to the engine. Where can I plug this hose? What is this hose used for? Please help. Thanks
Old 07 Apr 2013, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Intake Mod

This is for the breather side of the Engine. You should not plug it. Because it appears by you using this type of CAI you are not concerned with having a closed emissions system, you can run the line to vent at the bottom of the engine.
Here is my breather hose at the bottom of the engine. Simple as that!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Apr 2013, 11:44 am
Senior Cruiser

That hose is for the crankcase ventilation and you can't just plug it. It has to be able to breathe. They make small filters that would clamp on to the hose that would solve the issue. Pep Boys sells them.

That is what I plan on doing with mine when I install my Airaid intake system this week.
Old 07 Apr 2013, 11:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
That hose is for the crankcase ventilation and you can't just plug it. It has to be able to breathe. They make small filters that would clamp on to the hose that would solve the issue. Pep Boys sells them.

That is what I plan on doing with mine when I install my Airaid intake system this week.

You know I often get a kick out of those (including myself) that at times install an aftermarket filter (for looks ONLY) on the breather side of the engine. The filter does very little and in some cases causes a problem! You may remember the early 50/60's engine that simply had a metal tube coming out of the back of the block and vented along the transmission.

Hhere is a stock air box. notice that the ventilation or breather tube is below the air filter and that it is nothing more then a low density foam.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Apr 2013 at 01:21 pm. Reason: added last line and picture
Old 07 Apr 2013, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't most after market systems like my Intimidator, Air Raid and the K&N system have a connection for that hose??? I though they all did because they are made for particular system, they should have one or two connections for the IAT (if you replace the ribbed rubber hose) and the crankcase ventilation hose.

Look on the black tube that attaches to the filter to see if there is a nipple that will accept the hose. Sometimes the new system comes with a different (longer/shorter) hose to replace the OEM hose but it should attach somewhere to the new intake.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Apr 2013, 12:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Is it emissions legal to just let this hose dangle? I only bought an airaid universal filter. It is not a whole kit so there is no place for the breather hose. Thanks again!
Old 07 Apr 2013, 12:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well if it doesn't need a filter then I can just leave it attached to the lower part of the filter box since the Airaid intake kit uses the lower part of the filter box.
Old 07 Apr 2013, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok thanks! I think ill get a cheep breather filter. They look neat... Thanks again to everyone!
Old 07 Apr 2013, 12:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwintus View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Is it emissions legal to just let this hose dangle? I only bought an airaid universal filter. It is not a whole kit so there is no place for the breather hose. Thanks again!
If you have anything less then a completely closed system air box then it is not going to be emissions complaint anywhere. That is why one reason the system you are installing does NOT come with a C.A.R.B. certified sticker to be in your engine compartment with your new part!

And the hose on my PT is not dangling btw but carefully routed and secured!

It is temporary as I am installing Evact system in the near future.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Well if it doesn't need a filter then I can just leave it attached to the lower part of the filter box since the Airaid intake kit uses the lower part of the filter box.
What I dislike about connecting a breather hose from the engine to anything that will be intake air related is it will contaminate the intake air charge. I know that it is in many cases only slight but hey,.... it is still contaminating regardless of the amount.

How many have pulled there air only intake system and found a film of oil all over the interior walls? That would be the breather hose from the engine and the PCV valve causing that! Well unless you do a Evact style system you do not really want to eliminate the PCV valve but at least you can reduce some of the air intake contamination from the engines breather hose.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Tags
air airbox intake airaid