Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clutch Switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2013, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clutch Switch

Has anyone here had the privilege of needing to change out their clutch interlock safety switch before? I've got a 2006 base model with the 5-speed. My cruise stopped working on me in the middle of a long road trip... didn't make me very happy. In the process of trying to troubleshoot, I tried to start the car without pressing in the clutch... (in neutral) and it started... so i'm thinking that the clutch switch is bad, and that's what's causing the cruise not to work. Any ideas or info about it would be much appreciated!
Old 08 Apr 2013, 08:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Clutch Switch

It's not your problem. Switch will allow a neutral start. Just won't allow to start in gear.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Apr 2013, 08:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The clock spring is the most likely cause.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Apr 2013, 09:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The horn still works...and I can press the button to turn on the cruise system....the CRUISE light in the dash will light up...if the clockspring were bad....none of that would happen...and I'd have an air bag light on...wouldn't I?
Old 08 Apr 2013, 09:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you stick the car in first and turn the key without pushing the clutch you're saying the car will still try to start?

I'm just curious. I don't have an answer for you. I've seen the switch. Seems to be stupidly more complex than it should be. Fords they only have 2 wires.

Last edited by rob342; 08 Apr 2013 at 09:07 pm.
Old 08 Apr 2013, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I haven't tried starting it in gear with no clutch...but it does seem to me that in the past even in neutral that the car wouldn't start unless the clutch was in....
Old 09 Apr 2013, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just an update... I do believe that the switch or some wiring to it is in fact bad. I can engage the starter in gear without using the clutch. Looking under the dash...it does seem to be INSANELY more complicated then what it should be... I guess it's time to schedule an appointment at the shop.....
Old 05 May 2013, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does anybody by any chance have access to the factory service manual for the '06 model year? If you do, is there any way you can make an image or two of the pages that describe how to replace the clutch interlock switch?? I've seen it on the '01-04' manual that we have available here, but i'm not sure if anything changed with that from '06+. For something as simple and stupid as it is, I have a hard time paying the shop $100+ for the repair, and would really like to be able to do it myself if I could.