• 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2013, 08:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I know....another brake thread.

Good evening,

Its been a while since I have been on here, hope everyone is doing well these days. My 06 N/A Limited is doing ok I guess for car that just went "where not many American cars have gone before" over 100,000, lol.

Kidding aside...I do have a genuine issue that is plaguing PT, and still being the only car in my family, its hindering my efforts to go places and I need yall's assistance. My front brakes are quite worn and I have rotors and pads on the way later this month, but I am having another issue, if at all, that is hurting my stopping power. I have noticed it takes a great deal of brake pedal travel to stop the car. Being an mechanic myself (U.S. Air force C-17) I understand it could simply be worn pads...but since a few months ago I have noticed that the car sometimes idles low when you press the pedal, especially when you have to go further down to the floor. I understand as well that this excessive pedal travel does put strain on the engine, but when in Idle tonight in park, I tried pressing the pedal multiple times to let it build up pressure in the pedal...but I got nothing. The idle did rise some during the continuing pressing, but soon dropped to 500 rpm and the car started to shake as it does in low idle.

I searched multiple pages on the forum concerning brake issued but found none linked to my situation. Could it be a bad master cylinder? I see no issues around it. I checked my vac hoses as many others have stated and all mine are secure and dry.

Thanks guys and gals for the insight.

-Dave.
Old 09 Apr 2013, 10:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: I know....another brake thread.

I would suspect that the rear brakes are out of adjustment, there is air in the lines, or the rubber lines are flexing. The idle issue is fairly normal. My pt does that too. Usually a failing master will cause the pedal to sink when your foot is on it. In my experience you may also see brake fluid or a rusty wet stain on the booster, Brake fluid under under the booster, on the firewall under the booster, or in the cabin on the firewall.

I would replace the front pads/rotors as you have planned and inspect the front rubber lines, check the rear brake adjusters and cylinders, bleed all four brakes, and go from there.
UptownSport likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 09 Apr 2013 at 10:09 pm.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 01:38 am
Senior Cruiser

First check the brake fluid level. Rob gave some good advice. Also, check for leaky/rusty brake lines. Some PT's had 4 wheel disc brakes. Disc brakes are 'self adjusting'; as the pads wear down, the caliper piston stays with the pad and you just add more 'make-up' fluid. If you live in the north country [salt], I'd change the calipers too. Use hi temp caliper lube on the sliders of the calipers.

REF: My 06 n/a idles at 700 rpm [automatic]
Old 10 Apr 2013, 03:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

A several thoughts:

air in the lines

bad booster

failing master cylinder
Old 10 Apr 2013, 09:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

hey man try this:

>>Excessive Pedal Travel: While stopped, pull up on the emergency brake and then step on the pedal. If the pedal comes up, the rear shoes are worn or need adjusting. Backing up going around the block while applying the brakes on and off will adjust them. If this doesn't adjust them, pull the rear drums off and check for worn out linings and frozen self adjusters.<<
UptownSport likes this.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 09:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

One other thing...pressing the pedal will not put a strain on the engine...this is a vacuum boosted system...you are probably thinking of a hydroboosted system.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 09:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
One other thing...pressing the pedal will not put a strain on the engine...this is a vacuum boosted system...you are probably thinking of a hydroboosted system.
^ when your car is up to normal temperature and you pump the brake pedal hard a couple times, the idle will rise. next time you are sitting in park somewhere, try it.

the reason his drops to 500 after doing this, is most likely a dirty IAC that is moving slower than normal and can't adjust fast enough. the IAC is not a vacuum deal, it's opened and closed by a worm gear and a motor. i noticed this when i broke mine in half cleaning it a little too aggressively
UptownSport likes this.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 10:53 am
Senior Cruiser

All great advice.

I would also say that seeing as you've peaked 100k.

Have your brake system flushed too :-D

After years and years of use debris can make its way into the booster, cylinder and lines.

Kind of like a a heart attack, they get clogged up and fluid doesn't flow through them as easy as before.

A power flush will force every drop of old dirty fluid out of the system and replace it with new clean fluid. Could increase breaking power by 5x.

I replaced all my brake hardware minus the booster, cylinder and the lines in December. Still felt the same until I had it power flushed. Stops like a brand new car now