Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
new guy here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2013, 10:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default new guy here

hi all, I just bought a 2004 pt cruiser. took her for a long test drive and all was well, I then signed the paper work and as soon as I drive off the lot it hit! antifreeze shooting out from the reservoir and I bought the car as is . so now she sits in the shop and my question is this,,, I know now that these pt's are prone to fan and cooling issues. is there a high performance aftermarket fan that would serve better than the oem one? im not looking to haul butt in the car other than passing cars on the highway. I have a modded mustang for all that, but this pt is what I will use to get me to work since my mustang is essentially a sunday drive only kind of car now. also how about aftermarket radiators? any recommendations? this car is in really great condition bodywise and interior. so I wouldn't mind dropping extra cash on this little investment ive already dug myself into. thanks in advance, chris
Old 09 Apr 2013, 10:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt
Default Re: new guy here

Quote:
Originally Posted by influenze View Post
hi all, I just bought a 2004 pt cruiser. took her for a long test drive and all was well, I then signed the paper work and as soon as I drive off the lot it hit! antifreeze shooting out from the reservoir and I bought the car as is . so now she sits in the shop and my question is this,,, I know now that these pt's are prone to fan and cooling issues. is there a high performance aftermarket fan that would serve better than the oem one? im not looking to haul butt in the car other than passing cars on the highway. I have a modded mustang for all that, but this pt is what I will use to get me to work since my mustang is essentially a sunday drive only kind of car now. also how about aftermarket radiators? any recommendations? this car is in really great condition bodywise and interior. so I wouldn't mind dropping extra cash on this little investment ive already dug myself into. thanks in advance, chris
Wow Chris really? Sorry bout the early troubles. I've had to replace my fan, once since I've owned it. It's an '03 and I bought it used in '05. I had them replace w/an oem fan. So, from my experience the oem works for me. However, I'm sure other members will post on here and give you suggestions for an aftermarket fan if they've used one.

Welcome to the forum though!

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 09 Apr 2013, 11:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. We have a couple of Mustang owners and members here along with their PT Cruiser's

There are currently no performance aftermarket fans or radiators that I am aware of that are a direct replacement? If you are not into wanting to do that kind of modding and fabrication the only alternative is OEM replacement parts.
Old 09 Apr 2013, 11:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

dorman fan - lifetime warranty! got mine on amazon for about $90.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 12:11 am
Senior Cruiser

Influ; The overheating could be caused by simply not 'burping' the system or as bad as a warped head. Time for more investigating.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 12:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: new guy here

welcome to the forum and from Virginia,, try RockAuto Parts Catalog if you decide to replace it with oem or similar parts at a great price and service (no I do not work for rock auto)
Old 22 Jul 2013, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok, I am resurrecting my old thread lol! well my troubles were as follows,,, I had a blown head gasket and warped head. the water pump was worn out and the timing belt looked like the original one. I had a seal leaking and the car also needed a tune up. So after careful consideration I said screw it, after all im a mustang guy so we tend to splurge on our engines lol. So they replaced the radiator, water pump, timing belt, various seals, hoses, complete tune up, valve job and resurfaced the heads. got her almost back together and should be done by Wednesday if all goes well. it put me back 2500.00$ which is more than I would have liked, but its basically a fresh engine now. it has 177,000 miles on it and I should get at least that back out of it. the good part about it is that it was done at my buddys shop and now has a year or 12,000 mile warranty on engine and cooling system. now I may see about getting the cats on it replaced so I know the exhaust flows smooth. I do have a question though,,, what kind of gas mileage do you get in these cars? mine is an 04 touring edition with factory wheels I assume.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 06:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Influ; lots of threads on that subject.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 08:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by influenze View Post
ok, I am resurrecting my old thread lol! well my troubles were as follows,,, I had a blown head gasket and warped head. the water pump was worn out and the timing belt looked like the original one. I had a seal leaking and the car also needed a tune up. So after careful consideration I said screw it, after all im a mustang guy so we tend to splurge on our engines lol. So they replaced the radiator, water pump, timing belt, various seals, hoses, complete tune up, valve job and resurfaced the heads. got her almost back together and should be done by Wednesday if all goes well. it put me back 2500.00$ which is more than I would have liked, but its basically a fresh engine now. it has 177,000 miles on it and I should get at least that back out of it. the good part about it is that it was done at my buddys shop and now has a year or 12,000 mile warranty on engine and cooling system. now I may see about getting the cats on it replaced so I know the exhaust flows smooth. I do have a question though,,, what kind of gas mileage do you get in these cars? mine is an 04 touring edition with factory wheels I assume.
That is a loaded question! The range seems to be from 16 to 33 mpg! It's very dependent on how you drive!
5 speed cars to do about 1-2 mpg better than the autos.

Pt's turn about 2300 to 2400 rpm at highway speed. To get it down to 2000 you'd have to drive about 55 mph on the highway,good luck with that! Gearing Pt's make excellent power in the mid range and that's mostly because if it's moving...it's always in the mid range!

But yeah lots of threads on the subject here.

As long as mpg was'nt your main goal for purchase, I think you'll have fun with it. If mpg is important...you should have got a different car.

Last edited by Chip18sw; 23 Jul 2013 at 08:59 am.