PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
OBD II readiness test failed - no codes

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2013, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry OBD II readiness test failed - no codes

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser convertible 2.4l turbo with 150K+ miles on it. I needed to have a smog check (Calif). The very first test shows Visual Inspection: Pass; Emission Test: Pass; Functional Check: Fail. The print out said "This vehicle failed the MIL/Check Engine Light Test due to failure to successfully complete all OBD self test". (and the check engine light was not on) I had disconnected the battery prior to the test to clean it up so I was told to just go and drive it for a while and it will "reset" itself and pass the test. I went back about a month later (after many starts and about 400 miles city and hwy driving) and this time it failed because of the Readiness Tests: O2 Sensor and the Catalyst were not ready. I have driven it many more miles, city, highway, everywhere and on two return trips to the Smog station, the same O2 sensor and catalyst "not ready" happened again. No diagnostic trouble codes are recorded. Does this mean that it is getting ready to throw a code or what else could be the problem? I have been trying since Feb. to get this smoged and it will expire in May. What else can I do to get this O2 sensor and Catalyst to become "ready" so it can pass? This seems so stupid considering the emissions test passed and isn't that the whole reason for the smog check?

Last edited by crzypt; 11 Apr 2013 at 04:41 pm.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: OBD II readiness test failed - no codes

You should have a shop or someone with a proper scan tool clear all codes and pending files? Disconnecting the battery will not successfully clear the pending or readiness files.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The battery wasn't disconnected the clear the codes. I had just coincidentally disconnected the battery and cleaned it and the terminals up a couple of days before I took it for the smog test. The test person said that was the reason for the MIL/Check Engine light functional check failure. That's why he said to just go drive it but that didn't work. How do you find someone with the proper scan tool?
Old 11 Apr 2013, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So when you do the 'key dance', you're not throwing any codes? If I knew you and had the money to send you my Scan Tool, I would. However, I'm so broke, if it cost $.25 to poop, I couldn't afford to fart! lol
Old 11 Apr 2013, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A Chrysler dealership or in order of my preference, any shop that has a *Snap-on, Mac or Chrysler programming Diagnostic scan tool.

Also before your test as you are in California like me, you need to get some c**n P**w** . It is a secret (kinda) fuel additive that will get you passed from the tail pipe reading and it is 100% clean burning. I just need you to pm me with what town or city you are close to so I can tell you where to go to get a bottle.
3rcruiser likes this.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 07:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

To Chromenut: No, I'm not throwing any codes at all and thanks for the offer!
To:NitroPT: Will the "secret additive" make the functional check work? It passed the emissions tests, HC (PPM) was 7, CO (%) was 0 and NO (%) was 39. I guess I will have to find a scan tool or a dealer. The dealer in town went under about 3-4 years ago.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 09:00 pm
Young Cruiser

When the battery is disconnected there are several readiness monitors that need to run a drive cycle. Of all of them the O2 and Evap are the hardest ones to get to complete. If you google drive cycle for pt cruiser and it will give you the conditions it needs to reset the monitors. O2 and Evap require a temperature change to complete and if it is extremely hot where you are it will make it even more difficult for these 2 to complete.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 03:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Crzy; you got good info here. I would go with Nitro's advice. Chrysler or dodge car dealer first. Or a local garage with the correct scanners [expensive] and familiar with Chrysler cars. --- There are at least 4 levels of information which can be pulled from the computer; key-dance, local parts store scan tool, dealer scan tool [drblll], and dealer scan tool with miller tool. I don't know if the parts store tool only erases what it can read or can erase a higher level of codes? Others here know more than I do, waaay more. Just letting you know how complex new cars are; and that it sometimes takes a lot of effort and time to dig out a solution.

Chrome: If I worked with you, I'd give you the quarter!
Old 31 Jan 2016, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know this is an older post but it seems a lot of people are still having problems running their Catalyst and O2 OBD monitors on the older PTís. There is a secret to it that isnít published anywhere. But you need to understand a couple things first.

First is, the PCM has 2 timers. Throttle time and Exhaust time. Both count up and down from 0 minutes to 5 minutes. And they both need to be over 2 and half minutes before the system will even attempt to run monitors.

They are not visible in any OBD scanner or data list. Only in the factory DRBiii scanner and even then only in a special OBD monitor section under the pretest section for the monitor you are testing.

So how do you get them to count? The throttle timer counts up when the throttle is open and counts down when it is closed. The exhaust timer counts up when the vehicle is in motion and counts down when it is stopped. The secret is that neither will start counting until the PCM sees wide open throttle, at least 85%.

These timers can be found on all Chryslerís from 1998 to mid-2006. Some only have 1 timer, most PTís have both. Iíve seen cars with aftermarket floor mats that keep the gas pedal for reaching that 85% threshold. Iíve also seen defective throttle position sensors and vehicle speed sensors that keep the timers from counting. But you can monitor those inputs with most OBD scan tools.

On the 2.4 turbo engines Iíve seen where the Cam Timing for the Exhaust Camshaft is off a half a tooth or more and that keeps the engine load just out of the required range run the full Catalyst monitor. It will only run the Fast Pass and not set the monitor to complete. It will not set a check engine light either as the Exhaust Cam is not monitored, only the Intake Cam. Also the timing belt needs to be tight and have no play in it. Some of the aftermarket belts will stretch after they run in and that pulls it out timing just enough to not run the monitor.

Hope this helps.
Old 31 Jan 2016, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^