Advertisements
GT Turbo spark plugs: How to access them

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2013, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default GT Turbo spark plugs: How to access them

Hi-new to the forum.

Background: My wife bought a 2002 Limited Addition PT Cruiser and loved it. We moved to South Florida and her job required driving on the interstate and Florida Turnpike. Getting no respect from other drivers, she complained to me that there wasn't enough acceleration in her car. No problem I said--well get a 2005 GT Turbo. She loves it; still loves it....BUT.

Several years ago, out of the blue, the engine started to hesitate, and sputter at traffic lights. Sometimes it felt like the engine was going to quit. We took it to the shop. We spent a bundle, and the problem continued to return. It would be good for 6 weeks and bingo -- back again. This crap has gone on for years. It's her car and I drive it very little. Anyway, the last time at the shop, I got a little testy with the owner and he finally found a plug that was cracked. It was a Champion Platinum 7570. He replaced that plug and the problem was gone again. Three months have passed and the miss is back.

I finally decided to get my hands dirty myself. I'm pretty good with older stuff like Pontiac GTOs and Firebirds--this car I've kept my hands off of--it's hers! I want to replace the Champion Platinum 7570 plugs--all of them. Looking at the engine, I'm not sure of the process to access the two innermost plugs...the manifold covers them.

What is the procedure for removing the manifold to access the two inner plugs? I don't want to start dismantling things that don't need to be touched.

BTW, I removed the plug on the far left and far right and replaced them with Champion Copper Plus 443 plugs. The platinum plug on the far left was cracked down the outside. The other one was OK. Fired the engine up and the miss is gone. All 4 need to be replaced. How do I get to the inner two?
Thanks,

Bill
Old 12 Apr 2013, 02:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: GT Turbo spark plugs: How to access them

Here are the two plugs previously mentioned.

The cracked plug is on the left.

Bill
Old 12 Apr 2013, 03:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

just pull the ITM(Intake Manifold) off. if i remember right it was 5 bolts on the ITM to lower mani part. 3 bolts on the brackets to the head/TB and a few sensors/ and hoses.

i replaced my plugs with NGK 4306 copper and new Bosch Premium wires from autozone for $35. made a big difference to the car.

took less then an hour from start to finish.

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........

Last edited by mole; 12 Apr 2013 at 04:32 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 04:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

We have to watch abbreviations, not everybody knows them and some are slang/tech that they are not even universally common yet.

ITM ? I presume InTake Manifold.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...reviation.html

The picture of the`spark plugs, the previous installer got a bit carried away with it. The break more then likely occurred during that time.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Apr 2013, 04:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
We have to watch abbreviations, not everybody knows them and some are slang/tech that they are not even universally common yet.

ITM ? I presume InTake Manifold.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...reviation.html

The picture of the`spark plugs, the previous installer got a bit carried away with it. The break more then likely occurred during that time.

yes ITM is Intake Manifold. im used to it from the SRTforums.

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The left plug with the streak down it ran for several months before it cracked; it wasn't cracked during the installation. I also have the previous plug with a similar crack down its side. These platinum plugs should never have been installed in a turbo. Notice also the brown discoloring. That's not a good sign either.

Here is a photo of the engine bay. The manifold has a plastic shroud on it.

How is that shroud released to access the bolts that hold the manifold to the engine?

Doe the cables that runs across it (10 o'clock to 1 o'clock) for the throttle need to be released, or detached?
Old 12 Apr 2013, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTurbo05 View Post
The left plug with the streak down it ran for several months before it cracked; it wasn't cracked during the installation. I also have the previous plug with a similar crack down its side. These platinum plugs should never have been installed in a turbo. Notice also the brown discoloring. That's not a good sign either.

How is that shroud released to access the bolts that hold the manifold to the engine?

Doe the cables that runs across it (10 o'clock to 1 o'clock) for the throttle need to be released, or detached?
Ok the exception...
Suggestion use a spark plug socket with an internal protector next time.

The tabs on the front just on ither side of the engine oil dip stick are push to lock. Then there is two more towards the cables. You can then maneuver the cover around without having to remove the cables

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Apr 2013, 05:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTurbo05 View Post

i have a 04. i dont have the plastic ITM, i have the cast/metal version. that plastic cover should pop off somehow. im guessing with clips. the sensor at 10 oclock is the Map sensor. i just unhooked it. the cables at 1 oclock are for the TB/ cruise control. i left those on and just lifted up the whole ITM. make sure to take the bolts out of the TB going to that bracket held onto the head.

2004 SRT-4 built
Old 12 Apr 2013, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mole good point here, his question are not well asked?

The cables do need to be released to move the upper intake manifold to gain access to the spark plugs. Once the vanity cover is removed it should be pretty straight forward. Nothing is going to pop off, break or get lost during the process.

Oh take care when removing the cable cover, gently press the push to lock tabs. this cover seems to break easily as posted by others?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Apr 2013, 06:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Mole good point here, his question are not well asked?

The cables do need to be released to move the upper intake manifold to gain access to the spark plugs. Once the vanity cover is removed it should be pretty straight forward. Nothing is going to pop off, break or get lost during the process.

Oh take care when removing the cable cover, gently press the push to lock tabs. this cover seems to break easily as posted by others?
i have yet to install my 05+ plastic ITM yet. so i dont have any experience with that part.

2004 SRT-4 built