Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2013, 04:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default I need help

Hi there, I am a new driver, this would be my first car and I am being offered a 2003 PT Cruiser with 60K miles on it for 4500 dollars.... I am supposed to go see it today, but the problem is this would be the third PT Cruiser I would be taking to a mechanic to see and I am just not sure about it anymore.

The first two cruisers I took to a mechanic were being sold by reputable dealerships and they were complete lemons according to my mechanic, one needed almost 3000 dollars in repairs, the second one was structurally unsafe and needed tons of money in repairs.

This third PT cruiser is being sold by a private owner, but I am almost to the point of giving up on PT Cruisers, I don't want to continue spending money in these cars if they just aren't good. I've also heard the timing belt is very expensive to replace and at 60K miles I imagine this Cruiser will need it done soon.

I just don't know what to do anymore, should I give up and try to get myself something else? Any thoughts?.....
Old 16 Apr 2013, 07:05 am
Banned

Default Re: I need help

Yeah same thing here, dealer tried to sell my wife a 07 pt with 37k that needed 1700 dollars of work on it. Had them fix it first then we bought it.

It may help to know what the issues are, ours was the cooling fan needed to be replaced cause it wasn't blowing cold air ac at idle and it was rough at idle.

The front end needed some things replaced too, which we could hear by its sound.

The mechanic is giving you the list, take it back to the dealer and have them look at it and fix or lower the price. They may refuse hoping to sell it to a less thorough person.

Oh and timing belt is at 100k

My wife has owned hers two years now since with 55k with no issues since prior to purchase.

Good luck

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 16 Apr 2013 at 07:09 am.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 07:15 am
Banned

Oh and I would make sure the 60k mile maintenance is done, tranny etc. see if the battery has been replaced. Any front suspension issues. Remember my wives was newer and had fewer miles and it had issues.

Also make sure it has good thorough records. If they tell you it hasn't had any problems I would be a bit skeptical. If its been that reliable, why are the selling hmmmm?

This is a pretty active forum so you will get more responses from others in a bit.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your reply, the guy who is selling the car seems to be for real, and we agreed to meet at his house tomorrow so I can take a look.

I realize there will be problems and costs associated with every used car. I am just very confused because everybody around me seems to advice strongly against PT Cruisers, and they all think I should get a Honda instead, but within my price range which is 5000dlls I can only afford 1990's Honda's with tons of miles on them. I fail to see how a 1996 Honda civic with 175K miles on it is a better buy than a 2003 PT Cruiser with 60K miles.... I just don't see what the advantage is on getting a super old car just because it is a Honda.....
Old 16 Apr 2013, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The advice your going to get ain't going to change if you keep asking the same people. My brother in-law won't touch nothing but a ford. But your right that will never make sense to spend that much on anything that old and thatmilage. Honda's are good but not that good.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Apr 2013, 05:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

People either love the PT or hate it and the haters are alwasy the ones who yell the loudest we ahve guys on here with way over 150,000 miles and with normal maintance the PT is a solid car most of us love the style it does not look like ever other peice of crap on the highway if you are walking to your car in a parking lot and as soon as you see it you start to smile Well that says a lot

the PT have radiator fan issues easy fix
frount bearings not to bad a fix
frount breaks again notn to hard to work on

they were the #1 selling car for Chrysler for several years so some how some body must have like them
Old 17 Apr 2013, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all of your advice guys. I don't know why people are so down on every single car maker except for Honda and Toyota. I understand they are high quality but it's not like they never ever break and they are pretty expensive.

My brother owns Chrysler and it's been a pretty good car, no more expensive to fix than any other, my other brother has a ford, my other brother -I have 3 brothers- has a 2000 Dodge Atos! He was told he was buying a piece of garbage but it was the only car he could afford since he is still in school and it turned out to be a great little car, he spends like 15 bucks on gas per week, never has to suffer for parking, and has had no problems with it.

Anyway, thanks for your replies, I think I am ready to go out there and get myself a PT Cruiser, I have faith I can find one! I'll keep you all posted.

Anna
Old 17 Apr 2013, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't let shinny fool you do your homework. Look at everything. And listen to what is said. Anything can be a clue to what the car is like.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Apr 2013, 02:05 pm
Banned

What is a dodge atos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatrx View Post
Thanks for all of your advice guys. I don't know why people are so down on every single car maker except for Honda and Toyota. I understand they are high quality but it's not like they never ever break and they are pretty expensive.

My brother owns Chrysler and it's been a pretty good car, no more expensive to fix than any other, my other brother has a ford, my other brother -I have 3 brothers- has a 2000 Dodge Atos! He was told he was buying a piece of garbage but it was the only car he could afford since he is still in school and it turned out to be a great little car, he spends like 15 bucks on gas per week, never has to suffer for parking, and has had no problems with it.

Anyway, thanks for your replies, I think I am ready to go out there and get myself a PT Cruiser, I have faith I can find one! I'll keep you all posted.

Anna
Old 17 Apr 2013, 05:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Pts LAST.

Its a truth.

My motor is a testament to how much abuse one can actually take.

When i bought it it needed 7k in body , suspension and exhaust work.

THe motor had been beaten beyond recognition.

But with new plugs, wires, radiator flush.

She purs like a kitten.

It has 121K on the ORIGINAL timing belt. :-)

Those who hate PT's will insult them into the ground. ESPECIALLY MECHANICS. Why? Pts arent the easiest to work on, and if you let them die, they will. 90% of mechanics will tell you they only see PTs with problems..........well duh no car sees a mechanic if it doesnt have a problem. Problem is most PT owners in the country are mid 50-60's and dont care about their cars, they are retiree's wives that bought it cause it was cute.....and forgot all the work that a car takes :-)

Then you have people like us. we know these cars inside and out and we will vouch 100% if you take care of it..........she'll last :-)