Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C not cold? Its not the fan...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2013, 09:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Default A/C not cold? Its not the fan...

Just replaced the fan last summer and the fan is running fine. Now we are having an issue with the A/C not blowing cold at highway speeds or at a stop. Doesn't seem to have a pattern to it with a certain RPM or speed. A/C will just start blowing cold and then back to warm air. Could the compressor have been damaged when it kept kicking off due to the fan being faulty or could the A/C just need to be recharged. Its a 2007 with about 97k miles.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 09:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: A/C not cold? Its not the fan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlerocket View Post
Just replaced the fan last summer and the fan is running fine. Now we are having an issue with the A/C not blowing cold at highway speeds or at a stop. Doesn't seem to have a pattern to it with a certain RPM or speed. A/C will just start blowing cold and then back to warm air. Could the compressor have been damaged when it kept kicking off due to the fan being faulty or could the A/C just need to be recharged. Its a 2007 with about 97k miles.
Its a long shot, but pull the negative battery cable for 10 minutes and then re-connect.

I've seen the flappy panel *yes that is the technical term for it, believe it or not*. that lets the cold AC into the cabin malfunction and cause this. Usually resetting the system fixes it :-D
Old 05 May 2013, 10:14 am
Young Cruiser

Well that didn't solve it. Any other suggestions?
Old 05 May 2013, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Generally this is a low pressure issue - your R134a coolant is too low. The question would be - where's the leak? In the beginning of this section there's a documents library and there are documents in there on troubleshooting your AC. Also, if you want a really good video, you should see Eric the Car Guy, he and I have been yacking at each other for years. He's the one that taught me how to do mine.

This video is one of the best on how to troubleshoot your AC system for leaks. However, you do need manifold gauges to troubleshoot. You may be able to go to one of the autoparts stores, like Advance Auto, who will loan you gauges. The other thing is you need a vacuum to pull the system down to repair it, and again, those are really expensive and I have a very fancy one, however it weighs so much that shipping it to Dallas is probably going to be too expensive for you.

I'd say that I'd be happy to loan you my gauges, as they are some of the best out there, but shipping them to Dallas might be as expensive as about half what they cost me. If you are interested in doing the troubleshooting yourself, post here and let me know, after watching Eric's video.

I was actually going to pull off the Suction hose off my AC today, but for the last two days it's been sprinkling, and the LAST thing you want to do is open up your system when it's raining and/or humid! It will ruin your desiccant tank, on the PT it's called the Accumulator. You can pull down the parts catalogs from the posted library too, it will show you all of the hoses and plumbing for your AC.

Last edited by Chromenut; 05 May 2013 at 03:17 pm.
Old 17 May 2013, 11:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Generally this is a low pressure issue - your R134a coolant is too low. The question would be - where's the leak? In the beginning of this section there's a documents library and there are documents in there on troubleshooting your AC. Also, if you want a really good video, you should see Eric the Car Guy, he and I have been yacking at each other for years. He's the one that taught me how to do mine.

This video is one of the best on how to troubleshoot your AC system for leaks. However, you do need manifold gauges to troubleshoot. You may be able to go to one of the autoparts stores, like Advance Auto, who will loan you gauges. The other thing is you need a vacuum to pull the system down to repair it, and again, those are really expensive and I have a very fancy one, however it weighs so much that shipping it to Dallas is probably going to be too expensive for you.

I'd say that I'd be happy to loan you my gauges, as they are some of the best out there, but shipping them to Dallas might be as expensive as about half what they cost me. If you are interested in doing the troubleshooting yourself, post here and let me know, after watching Eric's video.

I was actually going to pull off the Suction hose off my AC today, but for the last two days it's been sprinkling, and the LAST thing you want to do is open up your system when it's raining and/or humid! It will ruin your desiccant tank, on the PT it's called the Accumulator. You can pull down the parts catalogs from the posted library too, it will show you all of the hoses and plumbing for your AC.
Dude I really appreciate the offer to ship. I'm no longer in dallas, I've actually PCSd to the Raleigh area but my wife is currently in Biloxi. If its anything more than a quick fix she'll have to take it to the shop. I don't think she'll make it another month on the gulf coast with no AC
Old 26 May 2013, 10:25 am
Young Cruiser

So little update, I got to take a long weekend to visit the wife and took a look at her car while I'm here. Turns out the AC compressor isn't even kicking on. I started the car and had her try to cycle the AC button and it didn't change anything. Any idea what this might be?
Old 26 May 2013, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As Chromenut stated, low pressure (not enough R134a) and the high pressure switch (on the compressor itself) will stop the compressor from coming on till the pressure is up. You can try yourself with a recharge kit or take it someplace.
Old 26 May 2013, 01:56 pm
Young Cruiser

I've read around that these switches themselves can actually go bad. If I check the r134 and it is full would that be the next step?
Old 26 May 2013, 03:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, the high pressure switch can't be replaced without emptying the system and re-filling it which isn't a home type job. The low pressure (or recycling) switch is easy but that wouldn't be your problem if the compressor isn't even coming on. You have to get the pressure up to spec and go from there.
Old 27 May 2013, 10:19 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Well, the high pressure switch can't be replaced without emptying the system and re-filling it which isn't a home type job. The low pressure (or recycling) switch is easy but that wouldn't be your problem if the compressor isn't even coming on. You have to get the pressure up to spec and go from there.
OK maybe I misunderstood what that switch does. If the pressure in the system is in the normal operating range but the LP switch is bad would that not cause a false low pressure situation by not closing the loop and allowing the compressor to kick on?