Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to access your spark plugs 00-03!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2013, 01:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Wink How to access your spark plugs 00-03!

So I've seen a few threads recently from new-comers who dont know how to get to the spark plugs :-D

So today while cleaning my motor *dont laugh at the pics this was the START of the job * :-p I decided to make a Photographic HOW-TO on this :-)

First you need to remove the 3 Bolts holding the throttle body to the upper ITM *intake manifold* These are 10mm Bolts and i recommend using a extension on your ratchet or you'll never get them :-)

Here
Step 4.jpg

Here
Step 5.jpg

And there is another oppsite the above picture hiding behind the inlet :-)

Next you Need to disconnect the Vaccum lines coming from the ITM :-)

Here *on the right side of the ITM, next to the throttlebody
Step 6.jpg

Here *there are two, one with an elbow and one in-line*
Step 7.jpg

Next you need to remove 1 Electrical connection. Its at the back end of the ITM, next to the vaccum lines you just removed, *be careful not to break it or it will end up with electrical tape holding it on like mine :-)*
Step 8.jpg

Now that that is done, you need to remove the five 8mm bolts that hold the upper ITM to the lower ITM :-)
Step 9.jpg

Then remove any plastic clips that are holding the throttle lines to the ITM *sorry no pics mine are all busted *

You can then remove the Upper ITM with a little wiggling :-D

You should see this by this point *dont laugh i hadnt cleaned it yet *
Step 12.jpg

Make sure to block off the openings to the Lower ITM *dont want stuff falling in here*
Step 10.jpg
Step 11.jpg

And finally your finished result

The plugs :-D
Step 13.jpg

Re-assemble in reverse order :-D

Hope this helps anyone who needs to change their plugs but has a heart attack when they open the hood :-D
NitroPT likes this.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 02:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: How to access your spark plugs 00-03!

Nice write up.
only thing missing is info for the '01-'02 cars with EGR. you also have to disconnect the egr pipe from the upper intake manifold, it's held with two bolts of different sizes and a gasket.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 17 Apr 2013, 03:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bolts are 8mm and 12mm.

Here's the guide we have on changing everything:

Spark Plug Guide
rcktpwrd likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Apr 2013 at 03:10 pm.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 05:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Nice write up.
only thing missing is info for the '01-'02 cars with EGR. you also have to disconnect the egr pipe from the upper intake manifold, it's held with two bolts of different sizes and a gasket.
Oh yeah, completely forgot that mine doesnt have one :-D which im thankful for haha
Old 17 Apr 2013, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My one concern with this, even though it's beautiful, is that the intake manifold torque specs do not include those for both the plastic and the aluminum intakes. Add to it, there is a specific order for tightening the bolts that really should be followed so that you don't pinch the rubber o-ring gaskets.

Along with this, I don't see the torque specs and plug wire specs here, so I'll add all this together and post it below:

If you would like to download this, here is the link to download it in PDF format.

Now as far as the intake manifolds go, there are different versions for the various types of PT's. Below I've added an image of the bolt tightening pattern, which is for both 2.0l and 2.4l, turbo and non-turbo, and in the links below are the install specs and torque specs for each various type of intake manifold. Download them at your leisure.

Now, here are the links for the specifics on each engine (in PDF format), download at your leisure: 1.6l engine, 2.0l engine, 2.4l engine non-turbo, & 2.4l engine turbo. All of these are directly from the OEM Service Manuals, however I created them in a simpler format than what that silly manual shows. Much easier to follow.

Note that I color coded the figures so when you read the figure number, look for the color of the circle as it's easier than searching for the correct figure! If you guys want, I can post them here as images too.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 08:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
My one concern with this, even though it's beautiful, is that the intake manifold torque specs do not include those for both the plastic and the aluminum intakes. Add to it, there is a specific order for tightening the bolts that really should be followed so that you don't pinch the rubber o-ring gaskets.

Along with this, I don't see the torque specs and plug wire specs here, so I'll add all this together and post it below:

If you would like to download this, here is the link to download it in PDF format.

Now as far as the intake manifolds go, there are different versions for the various types of PT's. Below I've added an image of the bolt tightening pattern, which is for both 2.0l and 2.4l, turbo and non-turbo, and in the links below are the install specs and torque specs for each various type of intake manifold. Download them at your leisure.

Now, here are the links for the specifics on each engine (in PDF format), download at your leisure: 1.6l engine, 2.0l engine, 2.4l engine non-turbo, & 2.4l engine turbo. All of these are directly from the OEM Service Manuals, however I created them in a simpler format than what that silly manual shows. Much easier to follow.

Note that I color coded the figures so when you read the figure number, look for the color of the circle as it's easier than searching for the correct figure! If you guys want, I can post them here as images too.
Interesting. By that diagram i always tightened them 54321 haha
Old 18 Apr 2013, 08:20 am
Young Cruiser

All good info, except that I didn't have to remove the upper intake manifold on my '03 turbo.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevescajr View Post
All good info, except that I didn't have to remove the upper intake manifold on my '03 turbo.
What about your plug wires? Can the manifold stay on to change them? The wires that came out of the factory in Mexico are crap. They should be changed at the first plug change.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 11:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
What about your plug wires? Can the manifold stay on to change them? The wires that came out of the factory in Mexico are crap. They should be changed at the first plug change.
Agreed!

Previous owner left the originals on until like close to 100k. When i got the car they were actually melted to the VCG in a few spots :/. Now its got some performance Bosh wires :-)
Old 19 Apr 2013, 08:50 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Changed them at the same time, w/o having to remove the manifold. Used MSD.

And just in case there are readers who do not know, change them one wire at a time to be sure you keep them in the right order.