PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0334 code corrected

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2013, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0334 code corrected

First let me say thank you to all that have posted information here that we can use to help with problems on our PT's. Even us ASE Master Techs have questions at times.

I have a 2003 PT LTD that has been a dependable vehicle since bought new. It has 98k miles now. A few weeks ago I had a code P0344 intermintent cam sensor problem. I changed the cam sensor as I have seen that engine heat can degrade the sensor body over time and cause problems. I also changed the crank sensor as it can sometimes set a cam sensor code. I check the wiring and connectors which were good. The code returned. It seemed to be a temperature related issue. Overnight cold and morning start up, no code would be triggered. after about 8-10 miles the code would set. Clearing the code and restarting the operating temp engine would trigger the code but clearing and letting the engine cool down would delay the code being set. Maybe the timing belt was stretched over 98k miles and it was time to replace it anyway. What a job, I have done timing belts and chains over the years but this one had to be one of the most challenging. I replaced the waterpump,idler pulley and tensioner also. I kept thinking on how much money in labor I would save. Double checked the timing marks alignment before reassembly. Car started right up, went for a drive and the code returned after about 8 miles. Oh well, it was time for the belt and stuff anyway. The scanners I have do not get deep enough in Chysler diagnostics to help.
Then a health issue arose and I was not able to work on the car for a bit. Did take it to the dealer for diagnosis telling them that the car runs good, smooth, fuel mileage is the same and it must be a temperature related problem. The hope was that they knew some of the "bugs" on PT's and could find the problem. They came back said the car doesn't have the power and said they needed to check the timing belt alignment. They wanted $$$$$ I said that is not the problem and to go deeper in diagostics. I asked if the tech checked the MAP sensor signal or engine vacuum. He said he wasn't sure but wanted to check timing marks. I paid under protest and took the car.
I checked vacuum and it was steady 19in hg at idle. No problem with cam timing. Researching a little more on this site I found the cam magnet/target could have problems. I replaced it and after a day of driving the code has not returned. Evidently the magnet had a problem that only showed up after the engine was at operating temperature. Disappointed that the dealer tech didn't go back to some basics with the diagnosis but happy with the information on this forum.

Thank you again to all that contribute,

Jack
Old 18 Apr 2013, 01:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: P0334 code corrected

Welcome and thank you for posting this report on a solved problem.
And you never asked our help; in the future we will solve others' similar problems by knowing your story.
Magnetism, if I remember any H.S. history, is heat effected.
sanatanadharma when you are no longer posting in stealth mode and make the availability for PMs then welcome , join and participate on this forum as a supporting member. Until then your responses in most threads will be temporarily removed.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 04:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for your input. Until recently we use to tell people about the Camshaft sensor but the magnet wasn't even thought of. More and more, replacing the magnet has helped owners with strange problems. Most of us that are giving information know about it now so it's usually on the back of of our minds that it could cause problems.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 04:24 am
Senior Cruiser

pttd; nice write-up. In addition, removing and cleaning the magnet should be considered when changing the sensor only. The magnet screw must be torqued to 30 in-lbs only; [per 2001 sebring 2.4].
Old 20 Apr 2013, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

When I changed the cam sensor the first time (on a cold engine) I had checked the magnet for any type of damage or problem. Nothing was found. When I replaced the magnet this week (engine was at operating temp) and inspecting it again, nothing was found indicating a problem with the magnet but a new magnet fixed the issue. Sometimes that is the case with electronics.
I have seen many diagnostic shop manual troubleshooting charts that the last thing to do is "replace with known good part and retest". But that was not the case this time. The last thing on a PO344 chart is "reflash or replace PCM". That could have been $$$. Didn't want to go there unless I absolutely had to. I try to think beyond what what the book says could cause the code to eliminate other causes that might be related, but must have had a brain fart this time. Thank goodness for this forum and the wealth of information here.
Maybe Chrysler should start thinking that the magnet should be replaced any time the cam sensor is and sell as a pair. Kind like the old school thinking that when you replace a generator, the voltage regulator should be replaced at that time, or those of you remember that non electronic ignitions, the points and condenser were replaced as a pair.
But as a side note, I contacted the service manager at the dealer, explained that I did not get a thorough diganosis for the money I paid. He reviewed what I had done, what his tech did and did not do, and agreed that a refund is in order.
So it is all good. A refund for me, the service manager that is more aware of what is happening in his shop and a tech that hopefully will be more thorough in his diagostic troubleshooting and a PT that is running great.

Jack
Old 21 Apr 2013, 02:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Glad you got your money back. That is unusual in this day and age. I've read so many stories on this site from people bringing their car in to be fixed, paying hundreds of dollars, and still having the same problem. PT's are equal to most cars mechanically, but it seems that very few shops know how to diagnose them properly. [Or we never hear from those people who have found a good shop.] That said, changing spark plugs and changing timing belts are more difficult than the average car. Chrysler could have designed the upper intake to allow for easy plug changes.

I've never heard of other cars having so many problems with aftermarket plugs and wires ! I know ford trucks blow the plugs right out of the aluminum heads, and other cars leave the plugs in for 60,000 miles [and more] and the plug is frozen in the head [requiring removal of the head]. I'm wondering how many tune-ups are done on PT's with only 2 or 3 plugs being changed?
Old 27 Jun 2013, 07:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Did you use the oem sensor? Is the OEM sensor made by Delphi? I changed mine two days ago with the code PO344 with the Echlin part css1100 then last night the code came back and the car went into limp mode, i pulled over used my scanner cleared the code and no problem since. I work at a Napa and can order a delphi sensor and my cost would be $40 which is cheaper than what i have found the oem part for on the internet. Also what would i need to inspect to know if i need a new magnet?
Old 27 Jun 2013, 07:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koch View Post
Did you use the oem sensor? Is the OEM sensor made by Delphi? I changed mine two days ago with the code PO344 with the Echlin part css1100 then last night the code came back and the car went into limp mode, i pulled over used my scanner cleared the code and no problem since. I work at a Napa and can order a delphi sensor and my cost would be $40 which is cheaper than what i have found the oem part for on the internet. Also what would i need to inspect to know if i need a new magnet?
Just called my Tech support for Echlin and apparently my computer list the wrong cam sensor it should be a css1141 for my car.. :S
Old 27 Jun 2013, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koch View Post
Just called my Tech support for Echlin and apparently my computer list the wrong cam sensor it should be a css1141 for my car.. :S
So long time no see. You are saying there are different sensors? I thought there was only one. What was the other one supposed to fit? Good to see you back.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jun 2013, 10:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
So long time no see. You are saying there are different sensors? I thought there was only one. What was the other one supposed to fit? Good to see you back.
they said one sensor was for a 01-02 and the other for 03+ so idk, and my computer also list a delphi sensor and it shows from 03+ only also so i'm going to order me a new sensor and see if that will fix my problem before ordering a mopar one