Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
help!! overheating issue. cant figure it out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2013, 02:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default help!! overheating issue. cant figure it out

My cruiser overheated on me last night. It didnt get to the red zone but it was close up there. No coolant lose no smoke. No damage. The oil is fine. There's no oil in the antifreeze. The fans both speeds do work(replaced last year, plus can hear it on) the thermostat was replaced 3 months ago. The car runs perfect. no other problems beside it overheats on me like once every 2 months and i drive my car everynight (deliver the columbus dispatch). Sometimes the heater is on sometimes its not. I know as soon as I turn the heater on the temp gauge goes back down pretty quick. I was out of my car dropping off 10 papers and I got back in started to drive off and looked at my dash and saw the temp gauge just above the 3/4 mark and just shut it off right there, had my girlfriend come get me to finish and got back. Temp was down so drove it home, no problems, no smoke. I just tell my girlfriend its having its period!!! Lol I thought I fixed it but now I can't figure it out. Any help would be awesome!!!
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.

Last edited by jrbsr05pt; 18 Apr 2013 at 02:23 pm.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: help!! overheating issue. cant figure it out

Turning the heater on gives the hot coolant another few feet of hose and the heater core area so the coolant can cool down. That's why it cools off with it on. Sounds like you have a blockage somewhere and the radiator area is the place to look. More people have a partial or full blockage there.

Th faster you go and the longer you go, the coolant needs to be able to run freely around the engine/radiator to keep it cool. Any partial blockage usually won't show up at low speeds but as everything heats up, it needs to be freely flowing.

That's my $.02
Old 18 Apr 2013, 06:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Mopar coolant is only good for 5 years. I have seen this problem many times. This coolant will start to break down and cause blockage. Either a new radiator or possible service of the old one would be your answer. I replace no coolant every two years.

Old 19 Apr 2013, 06:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well thanks for all your replies. It started to do it Again last night. When I saw it I hopped out the car to check to see if my fan was on. I mean the fan shouldve turned on when the temp gauge was above normal right? It was just under the 3/4 mark. The fan wasn't on and I had one in my closet so we'll see tonight but I believe I may be good now. But before I say hey it's fixed. I'm right. Right???? Lol
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 10:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbsr05pt View Post
Well thanks for all your replies. It started to do it Again last night. When I saw it I hopped out the car to check to see if my fan was on. I mean the fan shouldve turned on when the temp gauge was above normal right? It was just under the 3/4 mark. The fan wasn't on and I had one in my closet so we'll see tonight but I believe I may be good now. But before I say hey it's fixed. I'm right. Right???? Lol
May be time for a power flush, places like VIP, Pep Boys, O'riley etc do them for about $85. Instad of just replacing the coolant they force everything in the system out with a large pump, then replace it and burp the car of air for you.

Overheating is caused by ...

Lack of coolant
Old coolant
Non circulation of coolant
or air trapped in the coolant.

The power flush will fix all 4 of those.

Next check the fan * i only say do this after because its a good idea to replace the coolant every now and then anyway :-p so JUST DO IT! :-D*

once you have the power flush done, start the car. Then sit in it and watch the temp guage *so you dont overheat it* if the car still starts to overheat and you dont hear the tell tale hum of the fan kicking in also coupled with a quick drop in RPM. Then either your fan motor,relay, or wiring harness are shot, replace those and you'll be in good shape.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 03:24 am
Senior Cruiser

When the AC and defrost are off: the rad. fan turns on to low speed when the dash gage hits ~3/8 ; and on to high speed when the gage hits ~1/2 . Over ~1/2 ; the rad. fan should ALWAYS be on high speed with the car running. This applies to non-turbo cars.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 10:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well. I'm not much of a lucky person. Brand new fan from rock auto was put on. Hoping maybe it fixed the problem. It didnt. Started to overheat again and the needle got just a hair above normal and so i tirned the defroster on and the temp went back to normal. Took a look at it and took the radiator cap off and started the car and let it run with the cap off. The fan didnt turn on at all and once it got to normal temp the antifreeze started shooting out of the radiator not like spilling out or leaking but shooting out. Took a 7 sec video and shut the car off. From what iv read that's a head gasket correct? I have a shop that's going to replace it and get the head checked. So iv got the headgasket going to be fixed now what about my fan not turning on? its brand new put on Friday.....if someone wants to pm me there email id be glad to send a video of what it was doing. I don't have a YouTube account or anything to post a link or post it here but I would really appreciate the help so it doesn't happen again

Last edited by jrbsr05pt; 22 Apr 2013 at 10:41 pm.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 11:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well I did a YouTube account. Here's a video.
JRBSR05PT'S overheating issue - YouTube

Old 23 Apr 2013, 12:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Jr.. make sure you exhaust and trouble shoot everything before you have someone replace the head gasket. That is very expense and should be confirmed.

Old 23 Apr 2013, 01:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Your video shows what modern engines do. Imagine a pot of boiling water with steam bubbles being produced. In a pot in the kitchen they escape into the air. In a pressure cooker they have no place to go, so they build up pressure. When you opened the rad. cap, the pressure forced out any water that was above the steam. Bingo, a geyser. All air must be removed from the top of the cyl head to get maximum cooling. Chromenut [I think] has a Chrysler explanation of how it works after you 'burp' the cooling system.

Thermostat ok?