Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cams?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2013, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cams?

would a camshaft and rollers and rockers be a good mod for 03 pt gt autotick just not sure on the right combo for a good hp gain any thoughts
Old 19 Apr 2013, 01:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole
Default Re: Cams?

what are your current mods?

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 19 Apr 2013, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just a mopar intake andexhaust rightnow just odered stage one pcm from fwd performance and 04 srt4 injectors once it gets here im just wanting a full stage one if i can
Old 19 Apr 2013, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The right camshaft will enhance a bone stock engine. Additional modification within reason will help the camshaft potential given the specification are in line. If you drive your PT mostly for daily use or occasional spirited driving you want to choose a camshaft that will give you a linear power increase throughout the usable RPM range. Most basic performance cams on a NA stock engine will yield a minimum about 4-12hp gain. With minor other mods and some ECU adjustments that 4-12hp could be much more. But this really depends on the camshafts specifications.
You can not go by any suppliers advertised camshaft specification they are just that for advertising. You must contact the manufacture and ask for the cam card specification or engineering numbers. I might add unless you understand how a camshaft works and what the specification relate to then they are just numbers to most people. LOL And bigger numbers does not mean more power!
Old 19 Apr 2013, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ive been looking a crane cams i wanted to make sure it would be a worth it mod before i started my search i understand the basic prinipals of the camshaft ive just always wanted to do a cam mod just wasnt sure what to look for ill basically be stock besides the stage one pcm injectors and exhaust with the intake
Old 19 Apr 2013, 04:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtskinnerPt View Post
Ive been looking a crane cams i wanted to make sure it would be a worth it mod before i started my search i understand the basic prinipals of the camshaft ive just always wanted to do a cam mod just wasnt sure what to look for ill basically be stock besides the stage one pcm injectors and exhaust with the intake
Ok if you do understand basic principles then you should buy adjustable cam gears and play with advancing the timing on your stock camshaft! At least the exhaust cam! You will most likely achieve similar results then simply getting a brand "X" camshaft and specification and not dialing it in as per the cam card.
If I might suggest to get a DSP(T) invest in camshaft adjustable gears rather then through a set of cams and not set them up properly which may still necessitate buying adjustable cam gears anyway.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 05:45 pm
Banned

I think I should get some cams, they make that rumble idle sound right?

I like the sound of them, the hp is irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The right camshaft will enhance a bone stock engine. Additional modification within reason will help the camshaft potential given the specification are in line. If you drive your PT mostly for daily use or occasional spirited driving you want to choose a camshaft that will give you a linear power increase throughout the usable RPM range. Most basic performance cams on a NA stock engine will yield a minimum about 4-12hp gain. With minor other mods and some ECU adjustments that 4-12hp could be much more. But this really depends on the camshafts specifications.
You can not go by any suppliers advertised camshaft specification they are just that for advertising. You must contact the manufacture and ask for the cam card specification or engineering numbers. I might add unless you understand how a camshaft works and what the specification relate to then they are just numbers to most people. LOL And bigger numbers does not mean more power!
Old 19 Apr 2013, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

With the dsp can i tune just that and not worry about the transmission shift patterns. Thats why i steered torwards the stage one pcm because mine being a automatic i just didnt want to tune the motor all up yhen mess up the tranny if that makes sense ive looked at cam gears too that may be a option but to really dial it in right do i and should i have a dsp o and yes they make the rumble rumble sound too