PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
car dies and jerks around.. cant figure it out

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2013, 08:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default car dies and jerks around.. cant figure it out

my pt cruiser has completely lost its mind... where to start..

ill try to explain the best i can.
2004 touring turbo
80500 miles

the problems it is having is it seems to have lost some power, and when driving it will randomly cut out and bog down and jerks really hard and sputters. sometimes it just dies. most of the time it will start back up but the problem occurs again shortly. it seems to only really happen when its driving, not in park. the check engine light is on and will flash from time to time.

these are the error codes im getting at the moment.

the head gastket was replaced a while back, it was the last thing the car was in the shop for and i dont remember the car having this problem before that was done...didnt know if that could be related but i thought id mention it.

i took it to a small mechanic shop and they told me the computer was bad. they said they had a used one they could put in so they did that, it seemed to fix the problem but not for very long.

so this time i took it to the dealership, they told me that it was a clogged cat converter so i had that replaced, the next day its dying again and driving like trash. also hours after i got the cat converter replaced my ABS BRAKE and TRAC OFF lights all came on... and while driving the spedometer stopped working. once i shut the car off and turned it back on it worked again...

i replaced the plugs and wires shortly after the head gasket was replaced.
i am completely lost and about to drive this thing into the river.
i could really use some advice everyone.

please help!!
Old 19 Apr 2013, 09:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: car dies and jerks around.. cant figure it out

0051 - 02 sensor bank 2
0201 fuel injector #1
0202-injector #2
0203 injector #3
0204 Injector #4

0300 Misfire fault detected
0032 o2 sensor bank 1
0038-- Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 fuse
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 harness is open or shorted
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

SOoooooo either your "road tested" ECM is TOAST. Or you need new 02 sensors and fuel injectors.

Try replacing the ECM wiring harness FIRST. Its the cheapest part on that list. And it could just be a faulty connection.

Hope this helps.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the info, ill look into that
Old 20 Apr 2013, 12:26 am
Regular Cruiser

How about a fuel supply problem?

Vlefaive likes this.
1998 Dolphin 36' motor home
1949 Piper Clipper taildragger
Old 20 Apr 2013, 12:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscokid View Post
How about a fuel supply problem?

Could be. Its pulling codes for the injectors. But a bad ECM can trick itself into thinking its that, Injectors cost almost $500 for 4 of them, a wiring harness is $45 . best to start with cheap and work your way up lol
Old 20 Apr 2013, 03:12 am
Senior Cruiser

I'm with pluminator; two codes show problems with the heater section of the o2 sensors. Break in the wire, poor connections, or computer. I don't know why a 0051 code would show up, as it is for a V6 or V8 engine.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 12:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
I'm with pluminator; two codes show problems with the heater section of the o2 sensors. Break in the wire, poor connections, or computer. I don't know why a 0051 code would show up, as it is for a V6 or V8 engine.
There is a chance the wrong O2 sensor was installed in bank 2, one meant for a v6 or v8, the ecu's on a lot of cars are universal to 4 sometimes 8 models of cars, they are then programmed to the individual cars VIN. But still have the capability to scan codes off larger motors. IF it has the wrong o2 and sends the code for that o2, it will show up.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 02:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Plum; since there is no bank 2 , and since there are no bank 2 wires [I assume] , why would the computer think there is a bank 2 o2 sensor in the car? Each o2 sensor has a separate set of wires going to the computer.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 07:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: car dies and jerks around.. cant figure it out. Hey I need help too!

I have a 2003 pt, turbo, automatic/or clutchless shift, (a/s), I really am the only owner, and it really only has 52,000 original miles! I have never drove it hard, never took it on a big trip, took very good care of it! Now, I have a nightmare! It is doing the same thing but very bad! At first it was just occasionally, while coming home from work on the freeway it would bog down, spit, sputter, act like it was going to cut out, would slow down and when I pushed the gas pedal it wouldn't go, this would last about 2 mins then it would drive fine for a week or so! Now, when I try to drive it, it's horrible! It jerks really bad, sometimes it sounds like a airplane instead of a car, it bogs down,sometimes it dies, but starts right back up, it spits, it sputters, it jerks, it is horrible! I have taken it to have test ran on it and they all tell me they can't find anything wrong with it! We have replaced almost everything on the engine that it could possibly be! So I took it to a Chrysler repair shop, they looked at it and charged me $85 for just checking it, then told me they could not figure it out, BUT......... I could pay $1300 and they would tear the engine down, and try to track the problem down, then they would give me a estimate on how much it would cost to fix it! I have already spent about $600 TRYING to get it fixed by having new parts put on it and I can't afford $1300 just to be told what is wrong with it! can anyone help me? Sounds like we may have the same problem??????? Help! I am at my wits end!
Old 21 Apr 2013, 07:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You say "replaced almost everything on the engine". We need to know what you replaced. Myself, if not already done, replace BOTH the Camshaft Position Sensor AND the Magnet that's inside the hole where the sensor connects.