PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just clicks once, when trying to start..

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pluminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2013, 11:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Just clicks once, when trying to start..

Ok.. would love some advice guys?

GF's 2001 2.4l PT Cruiser, almost 200k miles on it. Put the key in, appear to have power (dome light, radio, dash lights) put turns the key and it doesn't start. One single click from the engine. Turn the key again to start, one single click.

Fearing the battery dead (though we have dome light etc) we jump it, and again one single click from the engine per key turn.

(panic ensues, running for work, etc etc)

This evening we try it again. Jump and turn the key. Click. Turn. Click. Take off the jumper cables as the car clearly has power.

Turn. Click.
Turn. Click.
Turn. vrooooooooooom!! It starts!

We let it run for about 10min and shut off. It starts again on about 3 attempts.

So.. bad starter? Corroded contacts on the starter? (possible, they look pretty rusty)

Any advice? Reading the service manual it looks pretty straight forward to remove though apparently you have to remove some engine horse collar from underneath which makes NO sense?

Love some advice!

Thanks!
Old 19 Apr 2013, 11:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Just clicks once, when trying to start..

Sounds 100% like the starter.

Try to crank it and have someone look in at the starter, i bet you'll see light blue smoke coming from it.

If so, replace it.

Also try rapping it with a wrench 2-3 times then try to turn it over, it it starts right up. starter is bad :-)
Old 19 Apr 2013, 11:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Sounds 100% like the starter.

Try to crank it and have someone look in at the starter, i bet you'll see light blue smoke coming from it.

If so, replace it.

Also try rapping it with a wrench 2-3 times then try to turn it over, it it starts right up. starter is bad :-)
Ok.. sure sounds like it. Folks replacing these or going for a rebuild? Also, it LOOKS like it will come out with a couple of bolts and likely fed through the top? Do you really need to take the engine collar off from underneath?

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!
Old 20 Apr 2013, 12:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Ok.. sure sounds like it. Folks replacing these or going for a rebuild? Also, it LOOKS like it will come out with a couple of bolts and likely fed through the top? Do you really need to take the engine collar off from underneath?

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!
As far as i know they are sealed units, but you can get a lifetime warranty starter for about $120.

I've only changed the starter on a 2.4 neon, which as you know has a different chassis than the PT. However if you remove the cooling fan *or not up to you*, you should have ample room to disconnect the lead wires on it. And there is enough room underneath to get a ratchet in there to remove the 2 bottom bolts :-)

Third bolt is up and a sinch to remove.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 07:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

One bolt on top, one bolt on the bottom. I don't think that collar is in the way. If it is, it comes off very easily. I recommend doing the bottom bolt 1st, you'll get less crap falling on your head (:
Old 20 Apr 2013, 12:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
One bolt on top, one bolt on the bottom. I don't think that collar is in the way. If it is, it comes off very easily. I recommend doing the bottom bolt 1st, you'll get less crap falling on your head (:
This is a truth.

I had a MASSIVE eye infection for 3 weeks after changing a starter a few months ago, drip of antifreeze, oil, steering fluid and road grime fell in my eye.

NEVER do this without safety glasses haha
rob342 likes this.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 01:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
This is a truth.

I had a MASSIVE eye infection for 3 weeks after changing a starter a few months ago, drip of antifreeze, oil, steering fluid and road grime fell in my eye.

NEVER do this without safety glasses haha
i thought of you and bought 2 pairs of safety glasses when i went and bought my jack and jackstands. they're sitting on the trans in this picture from my "i killed it" thread
Old 20 Apr 2013, 01:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i thought of you and bought 2 pairs of safety glasses when i went and bought my jack and jackstands. they're sitting on the trans in this picture from my "i killed it" thread
Yeah haha i bought like 10 off ebay. I have a pair in the glove, under seat, 3 in the truck 2 in the garage, 2 in my house........lol