Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Overheated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2002, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Overheated

2001 PT CRUISER-ON THE WAY HOME FROM WORK LAST TUESDAY MY WATER LIGHT CAME ON TEMP GAUGE WENT TO "H" I PULLED OFF ON THE NEXT EXIT RAMP WITH A SMOKING ENGINE. NO OTHER WARNINGS. I HAD JUST CHECKED MY FLUIDS TWO DAYS PRIOR. DUE TO GO IN FOR MAINTAINCE AND RECALL ON FRIDAY. HAD TO HAVE SOMETHING HAPPEN IN A VERY SHORT TIME. FIRST IT WAS A CYLINDER HEAD NOW IT'S A WHOLE NEW ENGINE. STILL IN SHOCK, UNBELIEVEABLE-NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE BEFORE
ANYONE?

JLF
Old 08 Oct 2002, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Joyce,
Sorry to hear about your problems. You say you checked the fluids just 2 days ago. Was the water low after the overheating problem? Did you see a sprinkling or spray of water over part of the engine where a hose might have broken or come loose? How long ago did you have a cylinder head replaced? To do that, a few of the hoses would have had to come off and might not have been tightened all the way when everything was put back together. Sorry about the questions but sometimes a problem is hard to diagnose without all the facts. Hopefully it will be just a small problem like a loose hose and you'll be back on your way in no time.

Old 28 Oct 2002, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2001 cruiser with 32,000 miles. I had the exact problem Friday evening, the car due for service on Saturday, fluids checked recently, lights come on, I pull over ASAP, steam pours out and I'm in for a head gasket and/or a cracked block. I am more than a little annoyed.