Advertisements
Exhaust setup

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2013, 08:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Exhaust setup

http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI....m=120735690765
Just wondering if this is a good downpipe was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Needswing had one too for about hundred more bucks but sometimes price doesnt mean its better any thoughts
Old 20 Apr 2013, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Exhaust setup

Its fine! There are also some on e-bay with cut out for the same price.

The welds are adequate and solid and they don't look bad. The chrome plating is ok but not so it won't blue if you go lean or to rich on the AFR's. The flange is nice and thick and should not warp? All in all it a good piece.

Chrysler PT Cruiser 2 4L Turbo Charger DOHC i5 Stainless Downpipe with Dump Pipe | eBay
mole likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Apr 2013, 10:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks nitro. Would that pipe and stock 2.25 straight pioe be a good setup or is there a netter aftermarket kit. I wanted to go full 3 inch but i feel it would be too loud
Old 20 Apr 2013, 11:56 pm
Banned

It is going to be loud regardless especially if you cut that stock muffler off.

I run a gutted cherry bomb long tube muffler. Not sure if nitros is gutted but he has the same type of muffler.

Look on YouTube, plenty of them on there.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 01:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtskinnerPt View Post
Thanks nitro. Would that pipe and stock 2.25 straight pioe be a good setup or is there a netter aftermarket kit. I wanted to go full 3 inch but i feel it would be too loud
It is always easier to build your exhaust around the CAT and more so if you live in an area that legally requires it.
Most professional performance engine builder will tell you that running a 3 inch exhaust on the street unless your intentions are to run drag racing or open road track competition will lessen your bottom torque and street drivability will be less then desirable. The large big exhaust on small cubic displacement engines even boosted is not a reasonable choice for the average street driven vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
It is going to be loud regardless especially if you cut that stock muffler off.

I run a gutted cherry bomb long tube muffler. Not sure if Nitro's is gutted but he has the same type of muffler.

Look on YouTube, plenty of them on there.
WOW Nice bike!!!

Did you mean gutted CAT not sure why your would gut out a glasspack? Unless you are running a functional CAT and wanted the look as if you had a muffler? I have seen some that run only the CAT in their systems because of its exhaust noise reduction tendencies. Most Glasspacks have the unique ability to be run in either direction. One way increases the sound and the other reduces the sound level. If you use a glasspack that measures an actual core size you can calculate them into a exhaust system with predictable results unlike many that mix and match exhaust system parts and think they are improving things.
I personally have yet to see any CAT-back or complete exhaust system manufacture or supplier give tailpipe flow ratings. I am not saying that all don't just that I have not read specification on any yet. Maybe some who know all the avalible systems might have one that does? I would guess that reason may be that they fall short of the actual CFM flow most engines fitted for their systems need?
My advise is to seek out a Performance Muffler Shop that has experience with custom exhaust systems and understands VE (volumetric efficiency )and CFM in relationship to the vehicle you are wanting to improve the exhaust system on.

One more thing the CAT is not the enemy. Dyno results on many engines with nothing more then removing a good functioning CAT showed some improvement in power levels but not necessarily what everyone thinks and not so much on small displacement engines.
Speaking of small displacement 4 cylinder engine. It is sad that some remove the CAT risk vehicle impoundment, big fines, and maybe Green peace members chasing you (LOL) all for a possible 1-7hp gain??

You can see what I did here;
Nitro's PT Cruiser

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Apr 2013, 01:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Its fine! There are also some on e-bay with cut out for the same price.

The welds are adequate and solid and they don't look bad. The chrome plating is ok but not so it won't blue if you go lean or to rich on the AFR's. The flange is nice and thick and should not warp? All in all it a good piece.

Chrysler PT Cruiser 2 4L Turbo Charger DOHC i5 Stainless Downpipe with Dump Pipe | eBay

that is the same Dp im looking at getting.

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 21 Apr 2013, 08:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well ive got the stock muffler off there already i forgot to mention i got a high flowing muffler on there already i did that about a year ago idk i just wanted to straight pipe it. Ive been messing with to many big dieael truck here lately
Old 21 Apr 2013, 09:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtskinnerPt View Post
Well ive got the stock muffler off there already i forgot to mention i got a high flowing muffler on there already i did that about a year ago idk i just wanted to straight pipe it. Ive been messing with to many big diesel truck here lately
A description of a muffler that is a "high flowing muffler" is not to technical and reads like many of the muffler vendor ads. You need to know what the CFM flow rate is. A 2.4 in normal aspiration at 5000 rpm needs aprox. 396+ CFM of exhaust flow. When you start to ask the question "what does my muffler flow" and "what engines speeds to I frequent" you will realize how a bit more involved it is to choose a correct muffler. And remember we have not even talked about the rest of the piping in the exhaust system either.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Apr 2013, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

I never thought of that. I guess im thinking more for a diesel truck i know the less restrictions on the exhaust the better it flows i was just using the same concept for the pt thats why i just wanted to straight pipe it from the turbo back and just taking the muffler off completly
Old 21 Apr 2013, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Would hardpipes be a good investment?