PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Any ideas on what caused this to happen?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrbsr05pt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Apr 2013, 02:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Any ideas on what caused this to happen?

I drove my 2004 pt cruiser earlier today with no issue, but tonight as i was driving my pt did a light jerk, and then it started slowing itself down. if i pressed the gas to make it go faster it did nothing. i checked the oil earlier in the day and it was ok, but during this issue the red oil lamp light came on, the air bag light came on, and the yellow check engine light came on (it also stayed solid, but for about 3 seconds every two minutes i would guess when it was in park the light would blink). i pulled over to the gas station, and the wheel was about 80% locked, it was a struggle to turn the car off the road to make it in ok. i turned off my car, and when i turned it back on it would not "roll over and crank" (i think that's the right term). Now, the lights all work, but it won't crank.
Is this a catalyic converter issue? a timing belt one? a starter? something else?
I understand you can't define the issue down to a tee without seeing the car, but i am searching for some ideas to just have some peace of mind. Thank you.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 03:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Any ideas on what caused this to happen?

Irena; you said 'i turned off my car'. Was the engine actually running? Or did you just turn the key to off?
Old 21 Apr 2013, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have any power at all? Do the lights work? If yes, you can do the key trick to find out what code the computer is throwing. Follow the instructions here....

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 04:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

How many miles on the car? Has the timing belt been changed? I bought a cruiser a little while back, the person was told the engine was "toast". After I purchased, I removed the timing belt cover and the belt was torn and wrapped around the pump and idler, preventing the crankshaft from turning. New timing belt and the car was like new!

Old 22 Apr 2013, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

oooh, sounds like it's gone into stagger mode...
Old 22 Apr 2013, 11:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
oooh, sounds like it's gone into stagger mode...
Yep. "limp" mode. So that the car can safely get you into a parking lot and thats about it.

You'll have to do the key dance, to get the codes, give us the codes and we'll tell ya what caused it.

Could be anything from a toasted Idle Air Controller, Throttle position sensor, Transmission sensor, Vehicle speed sensor all the way to a timing belt, or Powertrain control module.

Get the codes, get em to us, we'll tell ya whats up.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 11:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This may sound goofy but id check your alternator belt. Believe the correct term is serpentine belt but either way I had that happen to me in a old car. I was driving down the road and felt like I lost power. All my lights came on in my dash and my lights under my dash started to get dimmer. I pulled into speedway and checked and my belt broke. Lucky it was 10 min before autozone closed and changed it out in speedway. The car wouldn't start until I changed it because the battery was below voltage and I had to jump start it. May not be your problem but its simpler.
pluminator likes this.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.