PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ceramic pads

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2013, 12:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Ceramic pads

Anyone have a strong opinion for or against ? I'm swapping out the rotors too, if it's not obvious, any thoughts on getting the best rotors avail ? I'm usually a pretty gentle driver, but appreciate quality if there's actually any true difference..... thanks .... My daughter's now driving, and it seems to me she prefers to rub the curb to slow down ..maybe new brakes will encourage her to use them instead ....LOL
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 12:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Ceramic pads

Ceramics certainly stop quicker, and last longer. However if your using them for performance applications, the issue they have is they HEAT UP and i mean HEAT UP...to the point of glowing. your rotors will glow too :-D

With that said....they last MUCH longer and give you 3x better stopping power.

Also ceramic pads are noisy. Ya know the pad warning indicators that make that squealing sound? A lot of ceramics make that the day you put them in, unless you put in ceramic rotors too.

With pads that heat up so much i suggest vented rotors.

I have these on my car and while pricey as hell, they WORK :-D

http://thmotorsports.com/i-157240.as...FYtDMgodTysAIw

Last edited by pluminator; 22 Apr 2013 at 12:18 am.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 04:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Many thanks... food for thought
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 07:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have used and drove many different makes of cars with ceramic brakes without any noise on regular rotors. Not all are as clean as they say they are. If you drive hard enough to glow a rotor, you will know because you will need to turn it for warped rotor shake. Many OEM are ceramics.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Apr 2013, 11:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

A local auto parts shop in the IE has slotted and drilled rotors. He has his own CNC machine and does the work for many dealers and garages in the area. At one time, he would also offer nickle plating as as option. I use them with ceramics and have had great success on my Pt's and Lexus's. Here is a picture of the fronts for my Lexus (nickle plated). He is very reasonable and will ship. If interested, PM me and I will forward his number. He usually charges $125 for a pair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rotor.jpg (85.9 KB, 25 views)

Old 22 Apr 2013, 01:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks a million skywing, I'l let you know
Old 22 Apr 2013, 01:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I have used and drove many different makes of cars with ceramic brakes without any noise on regular rotors. Not all are as clean as they say they are. If you drive hard enough to glow a rotor, you will know because you will need to turn it for warped rotor shake. Many OEM are ceramics.
True, however if you brake hard from 70mph to 0 with ceramic pads + ceramic rotor........they will glow :-D I've done it haha.

Mercedes had to put in cooling vents to prevent this because it was starting tire fires in the early 2000 models :-)
Old 22 Apr 2013, 02:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I just confirmed with Andy at "Riverside Auto" for prices...
drilled, slotted
Non turbo - $90, fronts
Turbo - $140, ALL FOUR!

Old 22 Apr 2013, 04:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767skyking View Post
drilled, slotted
Non turbo - $90, fronts
Turbo - $140, ALL FOUR!
Cool trick i realized when i did my control arms and also my rotors.

The turbo vs non turbo parts. Unless they have to do with electrical, the engine or the tranny.

They will mount to the non turbo no problem :-)

My rotors are for a turbo, so are my painted calipers and entire suspension -D

If you own a non turbo, buy the turbo rotors, its the same thing :-D
Old 22 Apr 2013, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767skyking View Post
drilled, slotted
Non turbo - $90, fronts
Turbo - $140, ALL FOUR!
DEPENDS 100% ON THE FINISH OF THE ROTORS!

I've seen drilled, slotted, vented, double-cut rotors all over the place for anything from $125 to $400 for all four. Now I'd probably say that $140 for all four is a good price IF YOU'RE NOT A DRIVER LIKE ME!

That means, I run up and down mountain roads, through all kinds of "roller coaster" roads up and down all of the East Coast, including the Tail of the Dragon at least four times a year. Along with this, I tend to drive like a total Chromenutcase idiot sometimes. I'm still on factory rotors and pads and they are shot, I mean totally shot. When I get them wet, I just about scare the pee out of myself if I have to hit the brakes suddenly, because they'll go to the floor and not hardly slow my PT down.

So, if you are a hard driver, and like running curvy roads, you'd better get drilled/slotted rotors that are excellent in size, and must be zinc coated thick enough to last at least 100k miles. Now we have a member here, Adam, who runs ThatRotorShop, and you can see some of his items here on this post: Group buy Rotors/Pads/SS lines
767skyking likes this.