PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
small performance bump

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default small performance bump

I'm going to start collecting some parts soon. JBA header, high flow cat, dynomax turbo muffler, light weight crank pulley and a MSD coil/wires. I will also be fabricating a true cold air intake with a ebay velocity stack. I also plan to get a mild ecm tune. my goal is only 170 crank horsepower do you guys think that group of mods will come close?
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: small performance bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrorocket86 View Post
I'm going to start collecting some parts soon. JBA header, high flow cat, dynomax turbo muffler, light weight crank pulley and a MSD coil/wires. I will also be fabricating a true cold air intake with a ebay velocity stack. I also plan to get a mild ecm tune. my goal is only 170 crank horsepower do you guys think that group of mods will come close?
Depends. Is yours a Turbo? If not.........not even close. If so.....somewhat closer, but your going to need a LOT more . The exhaust MAY add around 8 hp? the intake maybe 5 if your lucky, if its a base model PT.....your looking at 130hp standard, turbo 140-150 maybe?

So.......
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Mine is unfortunately non turbo, my n/a engine is rated at 150 crank horsepower stock I believe.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Mine is unfortunately non turbo, my n/a engine is rated at 150 crank horsepower stock I believe.
So 150 crank new. I see your's is a 1st gen like mine, so being 9-10+ years old, your probably pushing 138. So you may be able to push back up to the original, slightly higher.

For more power you really need larger fuel injectors, and the PCM upgrade to go with them.

I would say throw a turbo on it for power, however you would have to do some work to the interior motor to make it able to withstand the boost without imploding on itself.

Sadly us non-turbo guys dont really have too much in the ways of beefing up our engines without dropping a lot and i mean a LOT of greenbacks along the way.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No point to an MSD coil - stock coil is fine. Wires a good idea.
What is an ebay velocity stack? I know of velocity stacks for carburetors, not fuels injection....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

I do have 107k miles so I'm sure it has lost some ponies from the stable, I have the skill and means to do a full GT/ SRT4 swap but talking my better half into will be like pulling teeth lol
Old 24 Apr 2013, 09:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have started seeing velocity stacks that go in front of the intake tube and the filter mounts to it's mouth. Blox makes them, blox is a big name in the honda tuning world.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 10:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

this getts said all the time and I know its not as easy as just saying it but you almost just need to sell the NA and get a 5 sp GT Pt it really will be better and cheaper in the long run
Me id love to have time and money to slip a nice 283 chevy in mine but OMG thats a labor of love
Old 24 Apr 2013, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The first thing you may want to do is a compression check of the engine. This way you can get a good idea the condition of the engine before you start to increase its power level.

If you are within 5 lbs and over 150lbs of each cylinder then you may still have close to the rated HP as new.

I would do some more reading about high flow CAT's. They are not all the same and some flow less then stock.

A well thought out exhaust can yield good power increases but it will take you to learn how to get your VE and then do the math on the CFM you will need at the engine speed you will most likely be operating in. Also careful choice of all the piping. I see this all the time people will upgrade there exhaust system and think they have increased power because of the sound! When in reality have lost power in usually the top end?
Think about wrapping your complete exhaust system. This is always a win because you allow the exhaust to maintain its velocity longer which always sustains and improves the power output of the engine.

When ever I hear someone wanting to make a "true" cold air system I wonder if you have spent the time to do IAT Data and air flow testing? If you have done neither it is just another air cleaner system? But good luck with yours?!

Basic tune up like spark plugs, ignition wires, fluid changes etc is always smart when venturing into increases power output put of an engine. the MSD coil is "kool" but is no better or worse then the stock one. However the terminals on the MSD are higher conductive then the OEM coil. Oh and the MSD is RED so that make it 5hp increase for the color!

Not sure what a "mild" ECU "tune" (calibration) is? You either get correct map adjustments for your engine or not?
Either case unless you are only getting a simple plug and go pre-mapped "cookie cut" device then you really will not know what you got or what it is doing without a AFR wide-band monitoring deice and something like an Ultra-Gauge to check other engine operating perimeters. So my advise is be careful what you do with regards to your ECU.

Lastly try not to get caught up in the HP output levels unless you are planning to get a Dyno and establish some Delta's for future Dyno comparisons. Almost EVERYBODY thinks they know what there engine power output it is and and almost EVERYBODY is surprised when they actually go do a Dyno run. In other words it always seems a lot less then they thought it was going to be. lol

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Apr 2013, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
No point to an MSD coil - stock coil is fine. Wires a good idea.
What is an ebay velocity stack? I know of velocity stacks for carburetors, not fuels injection....
Oh man Don come on they were first on injected engines

I ran Crower Fuel injection on my El Camino with 8 velocity stacks.

mole likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN