PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Code P0700 on 2006 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2013, 08:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Code P0700 on 2006 PT Cruiser

I own a 2006 PT Cruiser Limited 2.4 L auto transmission, I have had a few issues with the error codes, the new one being a P0700 Code as from O'Reillys reading the code. it is my oil light that is on not my service engine light. I took it to Aamco after the reading just to get a second opinion not telling them I had it read and they looked, listened and said it was probably my oil sensor. I am on a very limited income and the car is my baby. She has 110,315 miles on her. I am getting ready to make a 4 hour drive and can't go with that dang light beeping at me. Is there anything I can do to reset this or must I pay to have someone further diagnose the problem. The code from O'Reillys read PCM Failed, TCM has failed, TCM related sensor has solenoid is damaged or has failed...The car runs just as good as the day I got her, no unusual sounds no slipping in tranny nothing. I have not done anything to her except regular oil changes I bought the car with 60,000 miles on it - Is this something Chryler has put into effect at 110,000 miles? Is there anyway to reset the code to see if it happens again so I can see if there truly is a problem internally. I have had 2 codes in the past the first was because I had left the gas cap off, the 2nd was read as needing to replace the voltage regulator (which I have not done and I have no problems with her). I am confused as to why if the car is running great these IDIOT lights continue to happen.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 08:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Code P0700 on 2006 PT Cruiser

The fault code P0700 is generic for something failed or failing in the trans. A scanner is needed to dig deeper into what's causing the fault code.

Meanwhile, take off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes. Step on the brake pedal to get rid of any residual charge then put it back together. That clears the computer of most fault codes and reset your settings. it will run ruough for a couple minutes while the computer re-learns your settings.

Now, if the fault is still present which originally set the fault code, it may come right back and set your check engine light again.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 26 Apr 2013, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok many thanks, and it was the oil light not check engine light but many thanks will try that
Old 26 Apr 2013, 09:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it was the oil light, it's a good chance that you have a bad Oil Pressure Sensor. Many of us have had to replace it. But I've never heard of a fault code P0700 with an oil light?

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 26 Apr 2013, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes that is what the young man at O'REillys said also but it is definately the oil light and I seen the reading a P0700
Old 27 Apr 2013, 02:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Petey; first check ATF level, [ATF+4 only]. If ok, then have your transmission filter changed. This should be done every 50,000 miles. [or sooner]. The deposits in the pan might tell you more about the condition of the tranny.

The 0700 tells you there is a tranny problem. With a scanner [reader], other codes will show up to further help locate a problem. Example: p0717 = input speed sensor circuit.
Old 04 May 2013, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you very much will do that this week
Old 17 Jul 2013, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, I am new here. Just purchased MY first PT, yesterday. My mom has had an '08 for a couple years now and her PT runs like a dream. It rides so smooth and is so roomy and comfortable, that when given a chance to trade my built up '84 Chevy c10, 350 bored over 40, for an '01 PT, I jumped on it. The Tranny was just rebuilt this week ( completely, pumps and all), right before my trade. I drove it before the trade and even though it had no take off, especially compared to my truck, I did not think anything of it, being it is a 4 cylinder. After the trade, on my way home, it felt like it slipped once after taking off from a stop. It didn't do it again, so I thought I had imagined it. I got back in the car later yesterday evening to go to the store and it completely slipped in and out whenever I had to stop and go again, like it went into neutral at stops and was taking a minute to get back into gear. On my way back from store, while my foot was on the accelerator I could hear and feel it as it went to slipping, then it would be like it was in neutral for a couple seconds, then catch and kind of jump and go again (important info-this is on flat road). It kept cycling in and out like that on the way home (luckily only 3 blocks away). However, when I headed up the hill that leads to my house, it drove like a charm. Later last night, we took it 2 miles down the road to a family members home that owns an '05 PT, again it was slipping while on flat part of road and driving perfect on the hills. He and my husband took it for a drive so he could see it for himself and his opinion is the tranny was not fixed properly, which of course, I agree. On the way home, it got worse, by way of it not getting out of 2nd and still slipping in and out. My research says this is the 'limp home' feature. Well after joining this forum today and reading, I learned how to check my codes and of course I got the p0700 tranny issue code. My husband is currently on his way to see the guy we got the PT from, to find out who did the tranny work, being as it is on them to redo whatever they did wrong. I was just curious to see if anyone may have an idea of what may have went wrong. It's just crazy to me that it drove fine before the trade and how it gradually got worse each time we drove it, until it finally put itself into 'limp home' mode. I am thoroughly upset about it all right now, as I LOVED, LOVED my truck. There is Nothing like racing around in a big, fast chunk of metal, however I did not like feeding him gas!! I traded out of the necessity to save gas and also because the car guy is the guy I bought truck from and he really wanted it back.
Sorry for such a long first post, but I wanted to be sure I gave enough info to help with advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1563.jpg (97.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 17 Jul 2013, 05:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Code P0700 on 2006 PT Cruiser

Has your PT has recently had the Transmission Fluid changed?.......Sometimes when the trans fluid is changed in a PT automatic, the transmission has to "relearn" itself.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 06:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, I just figured it out. And my very first thought was right. I always love when my old man argues with me and I am right.
In answer to your question, it hasn't had fluid changed, rather it just had the entire tranny rebuilt, pumps and all. So when it started acting up I was not happy, but having had many trans issues in the past with several different car brands, the fact that the problem was increasing as the day went by, my first thought was that it had a leak and we were losing fluid. So, of course he checked the fluid and it 'appeared' fine. I asked, maybe a dumb question, but I asked, is there a chance the stick is wrong? Like maybe it shows fluid up here on the stick, but is really not that full in tranny. Of course, him being the type of guy he is and me a chick, that was an instant dumb question, to which he replies, No that is not possible. Ok, fine. But I am saying it is losing fluid. The guy we got it from said bring it to him and he'll see what is wrong, since he is the one that had the tranny rebuilt. Got in, started it, put in gear, nothing. Totally stuck in neutral. It kicked in just long enough to back up a couple feet. Low and behold, ALL, ALL of my fluid is on the ground in 2 separate puddles. Funny thing, he had just checked the fluid not 30 minutes before and it was stilling showing in the 'good when cold' zone. 1. I am still confused as to how it would show fine and obviously be empty. 2. It is now obvious to me that whatever mechanic did the work, did not make sure he had tightened everything properly. Lovely! 3. I really hope this incident has not re-killed the newly rebuilt tranny. I will be highly upset, having just traded for it yesterday. Sad, Sad day at my house. I do appreciate your response and sorry if I seem snippy, It is unintentional; I am just highly upset right now.

Last edited by deadspice7; 17 Jul 2013 at 06:13 pm.

Tags
2006 pt cruiser, error code, p0700