Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anti Sway Bar Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2002, 09:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Anti Sway Bar Question

I received the email indicating that some of the 2003 Touring edition models were missing the rear anti sway bar. I notice a black bar running between the rear wheels to which the springs attach - is that the anti sway bar. If not what does it look like?

Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Your bar will be black in color but it's the blue bar in the following picture (pic courtesy of PTDoItYourself.net) :

2002 Almond Pearl Limited Edition 27K
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks SciFi, I guess I have it then - there is a thick, black bar running across the back with the springs attached thereto.

Old 10 Oct 2002, 06:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

I am getting the impression that all 2002 PT's have both sway bars and only the Turbo model for 2003 does not have both bars. I am sure DC is going to tell me I dont need it and the only mistake was on the sticker which proclaims both bars are on my car. In truth mine really handles quite well! Just the idea that I should get what is on the sticker. But mistakes happen!! Far easier to change sticker on window than recall all the Turbos for a rear bar!!!!

Old 10 Oct 2002, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 2003 PTC ( touring edition ) is missing the rear stabilizer bar. I went to my local DC dealer's service depatment, and they looked the build order up on the computer. The build order showed that the rear stabilizer bar is supposed to be there, so they have ordered all of the necessary parts, and they will be here in about a week. The 2003 service manual lists a rear stabilizer bar as on " some models ", so have the DC service department look up your PTC if the rear stabilizer bar is absent. good luck

Old 24 Oct 2002, 01:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am new to the forum and have owned a 2003 PT Cruiser for about four days now. I love it! I just stumbled accross this forum. My vehicle is a base model. I have seen the discussion regarding the Sway/Stabilizer Bar and do not see one on my vehicle. Chrysler seems to be indicating in their official response, that the bar should not be there. Should it be there or not?

By the way, exactly what does "PT" mean?

Thank you all in advance.

R.A.K.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

RAK,

Welcome to the forum. I may be wrong but I don't thik the base model would have the sway bar unless you ordered the touring package.
"PT" has been covered extensively but since your new.."Personal Transportation" is what Chrysler has said in their brochures, but many people have different ideas of what the "PT" stands for.

Old 25 Oct 2002, 12:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin,

Thank you for the information. I did check the window sticker-it does say "Stabilizer Bar-Rear". I wonder if I could get one under warrantee. I may call and ask. Would it be of any benefit on the base model?

Also, thank you. I will sleep well tonight knowing what "PT" means.

R.A.K.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 09:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

RAK,

If your window sticker says you should have one, by all means, take it back to the dealer and show him that you don't have it. Now, they are saying in other forums that Chrysler said that on the 03 Turbo, the rear stabilizer bar is built right into the rear housing. Don't know about the other models, so your dealer might try and tell you that also, but there's no harm in trying. Will the bar help? Depends on the way you drive. If your a little aggressive in your driving, the bar will help in keeping body roll to a minimum in hard cornering and if you travel over a lot of bad roads, it will keep wheel hop down. It's entriely up to you.

Old 25 Oct 2002, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin,

Thank you again for all of the information.

R.A.K.

R.A.K.