PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Windshield Wiper Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2013, 12:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Windshield Wiper Problems

2006 base PT with 122K.

My windshield wipers have been acting up more lately. I first posted about them in May '12, how they would turn on by themselves if I made a turn, or if I turned on the turn signal. After our power steering was replaced two years ago, the problem became more frequent, but still not constant. You'd just have to turn them off when they turned on. They also seem to act up more when the weather changes.

Recently, they have been acting up more, and are more difficult to get off once they are on.We didn't drive the car between Thursday night and Sunday afternoon. My husband turned them on to clean the windows and forgot to turn them off before turning off the engine, and today, they will not turn off at all! They were in the on position, but would not stop when turned to off. We had a 10 minute trip out and made sure they were off when we got out, but they still came on by themselves when we got back in.

Someone had mentioned the ground wires or the MFS. Could one of these be the problem considering the problem has occurred for so long? I hate to take it to the dealer (we are not car savvy). Like all of our weird auto problems, I'm sure it won't replicate and they'll just charge me for whatever they think it could be, it won't be that, and the car will still do it...

Major Repairs:
Air Conditioning: Fan Assembly 2008, Fan Assembly 2010, Fan Assembly 2012
Steering: Power Steering Rack 2012
Front Wheel Bearing 2013
Old 30 May 2013, 06:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Windshield Wiper Problems

I made an appt with the dealer to check out the windshield wipers for Friday, and in the meantime, I had my husband try and adjust the steering wheel differently to see if that would have any change. He lowered it a bit, and it did nothing, they still stayed on. Then he tried raising it a little higher than he previously had it, and he was then able to turn off the wipers!

What does this sound like?

Major Repairs:
Front Wheel Bearing 2013
Old 30 May 2013, 01:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

the wiring is pretty tight in the column. when the steering is lowered there's been things such as radio illumination dimming, horn not working, etc.

i would leave it raised enough to where the wipers continue to work. not sure if there's been a fix for this dilemma.
Old 31 May 2013, 09:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Raising the steering column up got them to turn off, but at least one time since then, they came on by themselves when first turning on the car and then turned themselves off. I've not tried to use them since then because I didn't want them to get stuck back on.

Have it at the dealer today, and they said it's a bad switch. They have it in stock, so I opted to replace. $250. Sure wish I knew how to work on cars myself!!

Major Repairs:
Front Wheel Bearing 2013
Old 31 May 2013, 12:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

that's a shame. the part is right around $50 and it's very simple to replace. check the "how to" in the tech section.

i absolutely hate the way dealers rip people off.
Old 02 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Now with the first rain of the year, the wipers in our 2006 base would not shut off. There is no fuse to pull, so that was no help. In frustration I banged on the end of the wiper stalk with the ball of my fist a couple of times, and .... bingo! The wipers shut off. So there must be a worn connection or some sort of short in the wiper control/switch in the steering column... that's my guess.
Old 02 Nov 2014, 01:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs View Post
Now with the first rain of the year, the wipers in our 2006 base would not shut off. There is no fuse to pull, so that was no help. In frustration I banged on the end of the wiper stalk with the ball of my fist a couple of times, and .... bingo! The wipers shut off. So there must be a worn connection or some sort of short in the wiper control/switch in the steering column... that's my guess.
Did you turn them back on afterwards, do they still work..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)