Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Switching out the autostick for a 5 speed in a GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2013, 07:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Switching out the autostick for a 5 speed in a GT

I am wondering how difficult and costly it would be. I would probably have someone else do it as I wouldn't trust myself for such a job.
I am guessing I start out with a rebuilt 5 speed (are the ones in GTs different than others?) Then I probably need an ECM (computer?) that recognizes the 5 speed versus the auto. Beyond that?

Would this be something fairly routine for a trans shop or a mechanic? Or am I better off just getting a GT with a 5 speed. Since nice ones are very hard to come by, I would probably just give up at that point.

Where would I find the parts?
What do you think a ballpark price would be if you were to do something like this in your area; paying a shop to do it. Perhaps naively, I am hoping this is about a $1,000 job.

Whatdoyathink?
Old 28 Jun 2013, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Switching out the autostick for a 5 speed in a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru View Post
I am wondering how difficult and costly it would be. I would probably have someone else do it as I wouldn't trust myself for such a job.
I am guessing I start out with a rebuilt 5 speed (are the ones in GTs different than others?) Then I probably need an ECM (computer?) that recognizes the 5 speed versus the auto. Beyond that?

Would this be something fairly routine for a trans shop or a mechanic? Or am I better off just getting a GT with a 5 speed. Since nice ones are very hard to come by, I would probably just give up at that point.

Where would I find the parts?
What do you think a ballpark price would be if you were to do something like this in your area; paying a shop to do it. Perhaps naively, I am hoping this is about a $1,000 job.

Whatdoyathink?
No shop routinely dose this. But the parts will most likely cost you more than this. Especially if you have someone do it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Jun 2013, 12:13 am
Banned

Exclamation Re: Switching out the autostick for a 5 speed in a GT

Whoever does it would need a big dose of tylenol afterwards, sounds like a headache.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 12:21 am
Banned

Exclamation Re: Switching out the autostick for a 5 speed in a GT

2003 Black GT Turbo 5 speed 39,500 miles
1 owner
Clean Car Fax

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser $5,466 - Manassas Chrysler Jeep Ram Dodge - Manassas, VA 20111 Dealer

I drove across 4 states to get mine, they are out there, you just have to be hardcore to do it.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 04:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru View Post

Whatdoyathink?
  • clutch pedal assembly, including the master/slave hydraulics
  • neutral safety switch and wiring harness
  • shifter assembly, including all cables and brackets
  • clutch/flywheel
  • axles

some cars also have different instrument clusters. if your instrument cluster tells you what gear you're in(P,R,D,2,1,etc), you'll need that too. i've never been in an auto so i wouldn't know.

it's a project that you would not want to pay someone else to do. pedal assemblies are usually swapped by removing the dash first. removing the dash is why it costs $800 to change a $30 heater core. if you add my list of parts to your list of parts, you'll likely already be past $1000, not including labor(which should be at least 1000). you could keep costs down by selling the parts that make it an automatic. trans, ecu, axles, all that junk.

a better option might be to find someone with a stick one that wants auto and trade all the parts, or cars.

i've done this swap to a few cars before(no PT's), it usually goes pretty quick once you dive in. the safety switch wiring is the only part of the swap that will require you to research and think.

Last edited by rob342; 29 Jun 2013 at 05:31 pm.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 10:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
  • clutch pedal assembly, including the master/slave hydraulics
  • neutral safety switch and wiring harness
  • shifter assembly, including all cables and brackets
  • clutch/flywheel
  • axles

some cars also have different instrument clusters. if your instrument cluster tells you what gear you're in(P,R,D,2,1,etc), you'll need that too. i've never been in an auto so i wouldn't know.
Correct and correct about having to change the gauge cluster. And yes the GT and the base, non-turbo use different 5-speed manual trans which means the widths are different so the axles are different, too. The axles are not the same for the automatics and the two 5-speeds. (Well, it's possible one half axle side or the other could be shared with one of the other trans in some cases. ?? I don't know those details but just figure on both new half axles to be safe.) And you may as well figure on a fresh clutch while you're at it.

This transmission transplant has been done a few times but usually by an owner with major experience and skills.......... and a donor car for ALL the needed parts. It's do-able but it's a project for sure.