PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help with engine

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2013, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help with engine

My daughters car had a blown head gasket. I replaced the upper end gaskets, i also replaced the timing belt, waterpump, while it was apart. I tripled checked camshaft, crank timing marks, and reassembled it. Everything reinstalled this is what is taking place now.
When cold engine starts up, idles great. When temp gets to say 180-190 degrees starts to run rough and will not idle. Then it becomes hard to start. After it cools down it will start up. OBD2 reader showes no codes at all. The radiator fan motor was bad i also replaced it. At what temp should the fan kick on without the AC on?? I have new gas, good rail pressure i was able to test for that.The only other item im not sure about is a sensor that located on the firewall side of the engine, lower passanger side. The engine is acting like i have an intermitting sensor issue. But if that was the case shouldnt i get a dt code? Last question i have is it the crank or cam sensor that tells the pcm top dead center for #1 cylinder?
Old 29 Jun 2013, 06:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Need help with engine

Did you check/or replace the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor ???LINK: Replacing the coolant temp sensor
Old 29 Jun 2013, 06:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help with engine

Welcome to the forum.

Cam sensor usually senses the position of the timing belt or timing chain gear and tells the computer when #1 cylinder is at top dead center. In other words, when #1 cylinder comes up. Crank sensor tells the computer when to fire the spark plugs in the rest of the cylinders. In other words, as the crank shaft goes around it tells the computer when each piston comes up so it can fire it's spark plug.

Without the A/C on or the knob in the defrost position, the low speed fan should come on about the time the temperature gauge gets to half way. Sorry, can't find the exact temperature but I'm sure someone has it written down.

Just as it starts to run rough, can you turn the A/C on and tell if the fan comes on?

The sensor I THINK your talking about that you don't know what it is, might be the Crankshaft sensor. Should be just above the oil filter IF you have a 2001-2003 cruiser. That sensor was moved to behind the starter in 2004.
mityqwik and Repairdad like this.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The OBD2 showes the temp increasing as the engine runs, so by that i would assume the sensor is functioning. So no i did not replace the water temp sensor yet. Thanks for the info on the camshaft sensor. Also i havent reconnected the AC as of yet so no its not being used for this round of troubleshooting.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will pick up a new cam sensor and install it.. Then i will let you know if it worked..
Old 29 Jun 2013, 09:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Need help with engine

welcome to the forum and from virginia
Old 30 Jun 2013, 09:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome,

If it was idling before head gasket change, it's something that occurred during that procedure-

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'd guess timing is off- EVERYBODY messes it up- Really hard to get a 'line' of sight on timing marks in the chassis
Old 30 Jun 2013, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Picture of the marks when they are right. You can check the marks with only the top cover off. Run the piston to top dead center. A clean screw driver with some hash marks on it will show you exactly when it is at the top. And the marks should look just like the cams on here.
Repairdad likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Jun 2013, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

At first couple of attemps to set the timing using the shop service manuals. I went by sight which didnt work out. Trying to set the exhaust cam gear notch 1/2 notch above the intake cam gear notch was tough. The way i finally got it correct was to cut a peace of wood to span across both cam gears. Using it as the streight edge i centered it on both cam gear mounting bolts to create what i thought was the center line to use to determine the 1/2 notch offset between the 2 cam gear marks.. Also my cam gears have the wording stamped into them "front" and "up" . On both of the cam gears, there are 2 cam marks on each gear at 180 degrees apart. Did i use the wrong centerline method, or is there marks on the block, rear timimg cover to use for the correct why to determine centerline? Pleas any in put would be greatful. Daughter is leaving to go to school out of town need to get this runing. Thanks for your input.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the picture i did the same thing except i set the exhaust cam 1/2 notch above the intake cam. Thats what the manuel said to do. And it dosent work. I have nothing to loose to set both cam mark inline with each other. I will try that and see if it works better.