PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What does this sound like to you??????

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vlefaive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2013, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What does this sound like to you??????

Wifie's car, 2007 Pt. Cruiser ragtop. 60,000 miles, regularly maintained. She was on her way home from work, sitting at a light, waiting to make a right turn. Light changes, she gives it gas, he hears audible indicator sound, something lights up on dash, it starts bucking, surging, hesitating. She pull into a driveway right away and shuts it off. The dash indicator is the check engine light (engine symbol). She calls me and fills me in on what happened. Luckily I'm 2 miles away and tell her I'll be right there. I get there and start it up. Idles normally, pull forward and backward, still normal, engine light still on. I drive her car home and she follows me in my truck. No problems whatsoever, everything normal except the check engine light. After I'm home, I proceed to check the codes. I don't have a code reader so I use the onboard / odometer readout. It shows one code "0340 Camshaft Position Sensor". The car continues to run very good. For the heck of it, I disconnect the battery to see if it would reset the code, and it did. Light goes out. Took it for a ride no issues. Perfect. Questions: Will a Camshaft Position Sensor make it run terrible then start operating normally?? What does this sound like to you?? Help!! It's going to the dealer tomorrow, but I'm afraid they'll say they can't find anything wrong or replace the sensor and send it home. Rog
Old 30 Jun 2013, 06:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: What does this sound like to you??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popdart View Post
Will a Camshaft Position Sensor make it run terrible then start operating normally??
Yes, that's exactly how our 05 acted when the P0340 code came up. It was running fine and then the bucking and hesitating would happen for a few seconds and then clear up again. It acted up on us 3 times like that in the 40 miles it took us to get home but she did get us home so we were happy about that. A new sensor was $80.00 at the dealer and it took me about 1/2 hour to replace it and the car has been fine since.
Good luck
Old 30 Jun 2013, 07:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: What does this sound like to you??????

The sensor is a quick and easy DIY .... under the Air filter housing, plug-in.... there's a youtube how-to here... I'll dig it out... piece of cake .
Busted_PT likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.

Last edited by Vlefaive; 30 Jun 2013 at 07:14 pm.