Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT radiator hose leak.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2013, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT radiator hose leak.

We just bought the car on Friday and it ran fine, but this morning my girlfriend was idling in her parking lot at work and she said the cabin filled with smoke and it was coming out from the hood. I went to check it out and I think it's steam instead. The car was already warm and about 2 mins after I started it, I saw the steam. It's on the passenger side near the front, but I didn't have a chance to really trace it down. There's a whistle when it starts just like a teapot, but smaller. I'm thinking it's a hose because it doesn't seem to come from the radiator itself. So, I have two questions.

1. Can anyone tell me how hard it might be to replace the hose myself? I'm fairly good with a wrench, but I don't have a lot of tools and it's not in a place where I can spend hours working on it.

2. If I decide not to touch it myself, what are the chances it's safe to drive 2 miles down the road to the nearest mechanic? I'd like to avoid a tow bill if I can.

Thanks!
Derik
Old 02 Jul 2013, 12:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT radiator hose leak.

i changed my front lower radiator hose in my gravel driveway lying on my back with the factory junk jack and limited tools. all you need is an assortment of pliers and visegrips. getting the upper clamp off sucks. it's doable though. the hose had a hole chafed into it from rubbing on the cooling fan due to excessive engine movement caused by worn out engine mounts and the problem was compounded by the fact that the hose that was on there was not trimmed to the correct length.

with a razor blade to trim the hose and a bunch of different pliers for the clamps, you can do it.
Old 02 Jul 2013, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT radiator hose leak.

Thanks for the info. I may try it tomorrow morning.

Derik

Tags
2001, hose, radiator