PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 - AC cycles after timing belt replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2013, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool 2005 - AC cycles after timing belt replacement

Good Afternoon,

I had the timing belt replaced on my 2005 stock PT. Before the replacement my AC worked great, never and issue at all. My refrigerant was drained to do the timing belt job and i was told i could simply refill it with the usual store bought stuff. I did the refill and kept it within safe pressure ranges.
1st attempt: pressure was about in the 30's on the gauge, within limits but no cold air, no compressor action

2nd attempt: Added more refrigerant up to about 45 on the gauge. After this the compressor comes on, goes off, comes on, goes off. No cold air.

Replaced all the usual stuff, relay, fuse, low pressure switch/clutch cycle switch, still with same issue. Checked for leaks, none found. system holds charge. I have noticed that none of the lines going in or out of anything are cold, not sure if that's a clue? My main fans seem to blow and turn on as needed, car does not get hot at all parked or driving with AC on. Autozone told me to use a rubber mallot and bang on the compressor, as if the clutch was stuck but i really dont want to do that and make a small issue a larger one.

Does anyone have any ideas or further troubleshooting i can attempt?
Old 02 Jul 2013, 02:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 - AC cycles after timing belt replacement

Can't tell you what the gauges should read but I know that when the compressor turns on and off every few seconds, it's usually low on refrigerant (R134a). It's not building up pressure as it should and the pressure switch recognizes it and turns it off.
Old 02 Jul 2013, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

True. I did have a theory about that. On the bottles gauge, i am at 40psi, but what if that gauge is wacko? It seems odd that i get it all the way to 25psi (green on the gauge) and no compressor, then at 35 it turns on but behaves as if it may be low. Could the gauge on the bottle be giving me a false reading? I know they cant be all that great, but i dont work on my cars enough to want to buy the whole manifold gauge kit for high and low. I did try pushing the psi all the way up to the high end of the green indicator, well passed 40 psi thinking maybe it was lower that i was reading. Still cycles.

Could the high level switch cause any of the cycling?
Old 02 Jul 2013, 10:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

If the lines were opened during the engine work, then a system vacuum is necessary to a/c. If there's air in the lines it will never work correctly. Your mechanic indicated that you could just fill it, but I would question this further. Some one else may want to comment further about this.
1998 Dolphin 36' motor home
1949 Piper Clipper taildragger
Old 03 Jul 2013, 04:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Those cans have a twist gauge with a \|/ on the clear part. You twist that to the outside temp at the bottom of the gauge and \|/ tells you how much refrigerant to put in. Do it with the engine running and ac full blast. At 85 outside temp, you should fill to 50-55 psi.

Last edited by Hearse; 03 Jul 2013 at 04:36 pm.
Old 03 Jul 2013, 10:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscokid View Post
If the lines were opened during the engine work, then a system vacuum is necessary to a/c. If there's air in the lines it will never work correctly. Your mechanic indicated that you could just fill it, but I would question this further. Some one else may want to comment further about this.
YEP, at any time the A/C system is exposed to open air, a total draw down with a vac pump is needed. This ensures that no air contaminants are present in the system and the freon moves freely. See if the same shop can do the draw down and make sure there is "0" vac in the system. I bought a full kit(pump and hoses with gauges and hookups for 150 on Amazon)

Tags
2005, ac cycle, low pressure, no ac