Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
energy suspension control arm bushing questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2013, 12:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Default energy suspension control arm bushing questions

My control arm bushings are shot, like really bad. I am going to get the energy suspension kit and it also comes with the torque mount inserts. My lower inserts are shot as well. From reading the install directions on the energy suspension site it seems as if I just toss these inserts in with the old ones still in the arm. Is that correct?

Old 03 Jul 2013, 02:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: energy suspension control arm bushing questions

The ES bushings replace the rubber bushings in the control arm. You have to remove the old rubber, leaving the metal sleeve in place.

The torque strut inserts are just that, they fill the voids in the factory torque strut. The kit comes with only one set of inserts for one strut not both struts...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 03 Jul 2013, 04:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

so with the torque struts I just insert them over the bad torn to crap rubber that is currently in the mount?

Old 03 Jul 2013, 10:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestown478 View Post
so with the torque struts I just insert them over the bad torn to crap rubber that is currently in the mount?
I can tell you this much, I have done them on 2 PT Turbos and the bushings are sweet. Only thing is you have to get that insert pc. out of the bush body. To do so you need a control arm bush press unit, parts shops should have this to borrow. When you get that insert out you have to shave off the rubber glued onto it totally.

As for the mounts and torque struts, I read here that if you shoot the spaces with polyurethane it will work well. IT sure does, find the tube at Lowes homeimprovement store in the caulk area. Just fill in the spaces with it, only thing is that it takes it time to dry. For me was 3 days, but what a difference.
Old 04 Jul 2013, 01:04 am
Regular Cruiser

awesome. Now today on my way to work the car started making a loud grinding/thumping like noise from the drivers side wheel area. I am thinking it is a bad wheel bearing so I guess I will be tossing that on the list of things to replace when I do my control arms.

Old 04 Jul 2013, 10:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestown478 View Post
if the rubber in the torque struts is torn they should be replaced. the inserts aren't meant to repair then, just firm them up.
I installed a set for an srt4 in mine, so I have both upper and lowers, plus the srt4 ones come with books to hold the halves together. not sure that I would do both on a car with an auto trans, the vibrations at idle would probably be too much...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com