Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
my power steering stopped

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2013, 06:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default my power steering stopped

I was just driving around the corner from my house and all of a sudden my power steering got really hard to steer... what could of happened? There is still the same amount of fluid in the car....
Old 03 Jul 2013, 10:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: my power steering stopped

check to see if the serpentine belt is still there. passenger side, under the ac compressor.
Old 03 Jul 2013, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When mine went just like yours (turning around a corner) it was like driving a MAC truck and I almost didn't make it around the curve. The Power Steering pump went out. At the time, it was $300 to replace with parts and labor.
Old 03 Jul 2013, 10:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Pump is the more likely issue, hopefully not the rack and pinion. If you do replace either make sure you flush out the whole system to remove any crap in there. You can do so with the fluid and just let gravity it run out of the disconnected return line. Suggestion think of installing a magnetic inline filter. I put them on a friends PT and mine, it costs 10 dollars at Autozone.
Old 05 Nov 2013, 10:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

update on power steering stopping and repair.
Hello, 2001 PT, 135000, inherited from my daughter. My power steering quit after jumping on the gas first thing in the morning. I realized there was some power steering when the car was up to highway speed or tached up so I theorizes it may not be the pump but some type of blockage. After scouring the forum I decided to remove the reservoir and try to clean it. Some debris came out with the turkey baster. I used a can of SeaFoam to clean it by filling it and agitating it repeatedly until the screen was clear and water and air flowed freely thru the unit. The unit was replace and filled with psf+4 as recommended in the forum. It worked until I turned the wheel to the left and right to bleed any air them I lost it again.
After digging deeper into the forum I saw where someone used SeaFoam ATF to treat theirs. I theorized there must be some blockage and put approximately 2 tablespoons in the reservoir. After 2 days, approximately 50 miles of driving, and jumping on it hard a few times to increase the ps fluid pressure I now have power steering back. I'll give it a few hundred miles them break out the turkey baster again to remove as much of the additive as possible.
I thought I would post my results in the hopes it works with someone else. the total investment was about 25.00 for the 2 cans of SeaFoam and the ATF. Thanks for the help.
Old 05 Nov 2013, 10:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05 Nov 2013, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

sea foam is thicker than some additives i cant see what it would hurt in fact you could most likely run it 100% as the PS is simply a hydrolic pump and any fluid that wont eat up the lines and pump would work at least in theroy
Old 05 Nov 2013, 11:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Moral of the story is to periodically change the fluid.

People never touch the PS fluid which degrades over time.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 05 Nov 2013, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Although I can't say on all PT Cruisers because these are none serviceable parts but generally on most power steering pumps there is a check valve that present's fluid from returning back to the pump when demand is not needed. If the o-ring or valve itself becomes dirty you may get loss of power assisted steering. Many shops will simply replace the pump and not do a fluid flush/change. The dirty old fluid is what cause the power steering issue in the first place. Using any additive or simply cleaning the reservoir will only temporarily resolve the problem. IMO if you are going to the trouble to clean the reservoir then take the next step and flush and change all the power steering fluid? Otherwise that PS Demon will return!
Old 05 Nov 2013, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

and we all hate that PS Deamon--lol