PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT fan motor assembly problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2013, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT fan motor assembly problem

I own a 2007 PT.
It was involved in a minor front in fender bender. I made the minor repairs required to get the car back on the road.
I had to replace the fan housing due to damage to the unit.
All was fine for several months then the fan assembly went out and I replaced it thinking it was a defective unit. Within the next couple months I have replaced the motor assembly 2 more times still thinking they were just bad units. It has gone out again.
Now I am thinking it must be something I have missed in the diagnostics of the motor assembly or maybe deeper.
Anyone had this problem with their PT? Does anyone have any thought what I should look at to fix this problem?
Old 03 Jul 2013, 10:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT fan motor assembly problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchand View Post
I own a 2007 PT.
It was involved in a minor front in fender bender. I made the minor repairs required to get the car back on the road.
I had to replace the fan housing due to damage to the unit.
All was fine for several months then the fan assembly went out and I replaced it thinking it was a defective unit. Within the next couple months I have replaced the motor assembly 2 more times still thinking they were just bad units. It has gone out again.
Now I am thinking it must be something I have missed in the diagnostics of the motor assembly or maybe deeper.
Anyone had this problem with their PT? Does anyone have any thought what I should look at to fix this problem?
Have you checked to see if your holding any error codes?
Old 03 Jul 2013, 10:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Did you replace the assembly with a used motor or new? If you used a used motor with the assembly the motor couldbe running slow when on high speed cooling. Also does the blade spin freely, any binding could causing it to burn out. One other thing did you get the right blower for the right car? The turbo models carry a different speed control than that of the regular aspirated engine.

Hope this helps.................
Old 05 Jul 2013, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

yes I have checked for error codes. There are none
Old 05 Jul 2013, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

the replacement unit could have been a remanufactured unit. That is why I thought it was a defective unit. But after the third unit went out I am thinking it must be something else. Yes I made sure it was the right unit for my car. There has to be something I'm missing that is causing these units to quit.
Old 05 Jul 2013, 08:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since it's 2nd gen does the comp not control the fan to a certain extent? Could it be sending surges shortening the life of the fan and could it not be bypassed with a separate fan control kit?