Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
overheating again help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2013, 05:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default overheating again help

Overheating when hot and AC on after about half an hour driving and get into stop and go traffic. The fan turns on when engine up to temp, turn on AC and get 12v on the fan high side at the fan connector but I don't hear a jump in the fan speed, should I be able to hear a differrence in the fan when the AC is turned on. The fan was only two weeks old, I exchanged it for another, tried the new one out of the car and don't notice a differrence in speed when I turn on the AC.

I put the old fan back in since the it runs when I hot wire to either side of the ground. I'm thinking maybe time for a new radiator? It's a 2001 with 220,000 miles we bought it at 208,000 a couple of years ago, my duaghter uses it for back and forth to school. When I turn the drain plug on the radiator nothing comes out, is it just a turn 1/4 or 1/2 turn or do I need to keep turning it until it comes all the way out?

The car drives with the temp gauge on center till I turn on the AC then it starts slowly climbing, I turn on the heater and it comes back down and blows plenty of hot air in the cabin. Any ideas on further trouble shooting or fixes would be apprciated

Last edited by nickels; 04 Jul 2013 at 10:05 pm. Reason: more detail
Old 05 Jul 2013, 06:56 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: overheating again help

Yes there is a very noticeable difference in the 2 fan speeds, if you jump to the fan conn, middle is common and then jump to each outside pin to check.

Drain plug is like 1/4 turn counter clockwise and should pull out, I know cuz I messed one up by turning it around and around, had to get new one at parts store.

I would make sure fan is working properly before replacing rad tho.
Old 05 Jul 2013, 12:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the thoughts, I'm going to try flushing the radiator and see if that helps. The fan runs when I hot wire either side with a ground on center, seems to me if it was bad it would be an open circuit and not run on one side or be short and popping fuses. This motor is only two years old, the new fan I got does the same thing.
Old 05 Jul 2013, 08:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Sounds like your fan may be working, I'd still be interested if it's running properly tho. When fan is on low you can't barely notice it, on high it will really ramp up and is usually audible from within the car. If that's the case then I would probably agree with you on trying to flush or replace rad.
Old 05 Jul 2013, 09:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: overheating again help

What type of coolant have you been using?.....Because mixing regular ethylene glycol with HOAT can cause some serious problems. Source:Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...
Old 06 Jul 2013, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When i turn on the AC I can hear the fan from the cabin, it sounds like it is realy pulling.

As far as the coolant type, I have topped off with Peak universal 5yr 150,000 mile. Not sure what the previous owners used, it was a fixer when purchased but seems in good shape other than normal wear and tear for an 01(the transmission slipped when warm, we replaced with junkyard one). The coolant is green, is HOAT the orange stuff. I will check out the link on it. Could a flush a refill with HOAT be good enough?

Also thanks for the input, my daughter loves this car, it runs like a champ except for the overheating, I am determined to get her fixed right, but it will have to be DYI, so I appreciate your advice and ideas.

Last edited by nickels; 07 Jul 2013 at 09:39 pm.
Old 07 Jul 2013, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: overheating again help

I got the radiator drained, no gunk, clean, clear fluid. Waiting for it to cool down to finish the flush.

Has anyone had Dorman fan problems?
I am now convinced the high speed is not coming on. The fan comes on when the low wire gets 12v(car up to temp) then I turn on the AC and the high side wire gets 12v but no change in fan speed is noticable. I tried testing a brand new fan assembly just out of the box since I took back the one I bought two weeks ago under warrenty. I jumper wired it to a spare battery and no change in speed either, what is the chance of Dorman giving me two crap fans in a row? I am taking this one back to NAPA and asking them to prove it has two working speeds or give me my money back. I replaced just the motor three years ago and that worked till this summer, went with the Dorman assembly this time because it has a lifetime warrenty, guess I should have gone with just replacing the motor again.

Last edited by nickels; 07 Jul 2013 at 09:38 pm.
Old 08 Jul 2013, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
What type of coolant have you been using?.....Because mixing regular ethylene glycol with HOAT can cause some serious problems. Source:Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...
Re-read the technical information on HOAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
HOAT also known as or G O-5 and Vice versa .

Some facts about HOAT. HOAT formulations are hybrid coolants because they contain additive ingredients from both OAT and conventional formulas and is compatible with both. OAT can not be used with other coolants.

NEVER go by the color of any coolant as it is a coloring dye that is put into coolant for leak detection and is not a reliable way of identifying coolant type.

Always read the warning and usage on the container of the coolant before adding.

I would not recommend flushing the radiator and refilling coolant until a pressure test on the coolant system unless you know for sure that you have a problem needing the cooling system to be emptied and refilled. Doing so generally is a bad idea leading to other unresolved problems!?

Diagnosis your problem before you start possibly creating new ones!

IMO if you are not technically vised on how a cooling system works and how to determine if it is not working properly seek advise from a trained auto Technician who can at least tell you where your problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
*I got the radiator drained, no gunk, clean, clear fluid. *Waiting for it to cool down to finish the flush. *

Has anyone had Dorman fan problems?
I am now convinced the high speed is not coming on. *The fan comes on when the low wire gets 12v(car up to temp) then I turn on the AC and the high side wire gets 12v but no change in fan speed is noticable. *I tried testing a brand new fan assembly just out of the box since I took back the one I bought two weeks ago under warrenty. *I jumper wired it to a spare battery and no change in speed either, what is the chance of Dorman giving me two crap fans in a row? *I am taking this one back to NAPA and asking them to prove it has two working speeds or give me my money back. *I replaced just the motor three years ago and that worked till this summer, went with the Dorman assembly this time because it has a lifetime warrenty, guess I should have gone with just replacing the motor again.

DORMAN is a retail re-packager they DO NOT manufacture their own products. So your fan could be anything from a MOPAR OEM to a Asian knock off?

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Jul 2013 at 08:53 am.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 12:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ended up replacing the head gasket after getting into the motor and no obvious problems with the water pump. New water pump timing belt and head gasket, no overheating problems for months. Not an easy job but should last another 100,00 miles now.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 12:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Ended up replacing the head gasket after getting into the motor and no obvious problems with the water pump. New water pump timing belt and head gasket, no overheating problems for months. Not an easy job but should last another 100,00 miles now.
Thank you for getting back with the resolution. It helps others.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles