Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Rebuild need help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2013, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Rebuild need help.

Ok, a little over two years ago, I started to rebuild my 2001 PT Limited. It was my first rebuild. I had to go away for two years. Now I'm back, have a car in my basement, have almost $3,000 worth of parts and machine work done. And I have no idea where to start. I would like to do it my self but I'm also looking at other options, like some one that will put it back together for me.
Things I've already done....:
Block cleaned, and honed.
Head cleaned, pressure tested, checked for warpage, port and polished.
NEW:valve seals, valves and valve springs (already installed).
Block has been painted and crank has been installed with NEW bearings. (But the block has been sitting in my basement for two years.)
I'm pretty sure I have new every thing lying around in my basement I just don't know where to start with this engine... If your interested in helping please let me know.
ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 05 Jul 2013, 09:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Rebuild need help.

Welcome back. So, gone for a year, are you military?

First off, where are you located? Maybe some guys on here live close enough to you to lend a physical hands. I'm in CT, if that helps you.

Second, i would highly recommend going or and getting a haynes manual for your car.

Third, start by making sureeverything is squeaky clean. It'll pay of in the long run. I them recommend letting us know exactly what step are you on.

Allot of us on here well help you out as much add possible. Let us know were you are, both physically and engine step and we'd be glad to help
Old 06 Jul 2013, 09:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Preacher View Post
Third, start by making sureeverything is squeaky clean.
Yes, wash it down with soap and water and a scrub brush.

Get a new Chrysler water pump, ensure you put the o-ring between bedplate and block, not just anearobic (sp?) sealer.
Old 06 Jul 2013, 11:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

if that is surface rust on the connecting rod journals, i'd start deciding what to do about that before anything else. sometimes it can be polished off without turning the crank. i had a crank polished at a machine shop due to a friend touching a journal. damn thing flash rusted over night. 1 rusty finger print. i was thrilled. they did a way better job on it than i could have. final step was with a leather strop and some kind of compound. the journals had a hazy reflective sheen afterwards, like high end jewlery.

get a few books on building the engine before you start. last time i built a motor, i got 3 books it before i touched anything. one is very good and i learned a lot, the others are just common sense/general knowledge crap, like they just published them to sell books.

have you built motors before? do you know the basics, chasing threads, using plastigage, lubing under bolt heads before torquing, setting crankshaft end play, installing bearings with the back side dry, etc?

i'm just curious, we get all types here.
Old 08 Jul 2013, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Preacher View Post
Welcome back. So, gone for a year, are you military?

First off, where are you located? Maybe some guys on here live close enough to you to lend a physical hands. I'm in CT, if that helps you.

Second, i would highly recommend going or and getting a haynes manual for your car.

Third, start by making sureeverything is squeaky clean. It'll pay of in the long run. I them recommend letting us know exactly what step are you on.

Allot of us on here well help you out as much add possible. Let us know were you are, both physically and engine step and we'd be glad to help
I live in Bristol, TN. Like five mins from Bristol Motor Speedway.
I have a rebuild manual.
I'm going to start cleaning everything when I get off work today.
2mro will bring: having the block honed again and having the crank cleaned.
Laying all parts out so I can assess them.
Old 08 Jul 2013, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Yes, wash it down with soap and water and a scrub brush.

Get a new Chrysler water pump, ensure you put the o-ring between bedplate and block, not just anearobic (sp?) sealer.
I will be cleaning every thing tonight.
I have a new water pump. I'm not sure if the "o rings" are with it. I haven't found it yet but I bought new everything.
Old 08 Jul 2013, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
if that is surface rust on the connecting rod journals, i'd start deciding what to do about that before anything else. sometimes it can be polished off without turning the crank. i had a crank polished at a machine shop due to a friend touching a journal. damn thing flash rusted over night. 1 rusty finger print. i was thrilled. they did a way better job on it than i could have. final step was with a leather strop and some kind of compound. the journals had a hazy reflective sheen afterwards, like high end jewlery.

get a few books on building the engine before you start. last time i built a motor, i got 3 books it before i touched anything. one is very good and i learned a lot, the others are just common sense/general knowledge crap, like they just published them to sell books.

have you built motors before? do you know the basics, chasing threads, using plastigage, lubing under bolt heads before torquing, setting crankshaft end play, installing bearings with the back side dry, etc?

i'm just curious, we get all types here.
I contacted my machine shop. They are goin to clean the crank and hone the block tomorrow.
I have the tear down and rebuild book for the PT.

I've never done my own rebuild. I'm more used to troubleshooting and replacing parts then rebuilding. As I've never done a whole rebuild. But I'm pretty sure after I clean everything up it just needs to be put back together. I have all the machine work done already.
Old 08 Jul 2013, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

sounds goood to me at some point everybody had never rebuilt a motor and had to start at#1 go for it there are a lot of good guys on here who will be willing to lend assistance
Old 08 Jul 2013, 06:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

That being said, there's a million ways to mess up the basics ...

Example:

My relation (distant, thank God) couldn't get the crank in his SBC to turn ...
Any guesses?

So help is fine, but it'd be impossible to go thru everything.
And you have to wash, and I mean scrub, cylinder bores after honing.
Old 08 Jul 2013, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

uptown it never hurts to have a good buddy who knows his stuff or in our case the internet with some great guys