PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
possible a/c issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2013, 03:01 am
Young Cruiser

Default possible a/c issue

2004 PT Cruiser GT/Turbo

I've noticed lately my a/c is acting funny. When I am driving, it seems to be cold, but when I idle and/or come to a stop, I can hear the compressor (?) come on and off every 2 seconds and the air gets warm. If I idle long enough the temp needle starts to go up a little, then the fan kicks in and it goes back down.

I went to Advance Auto and was told I may be low on freon, but we can't get any in. the gauge goes into the red saying it's overcharged. He said there was some sort of blockage in my a/c lines and it should be vacuumed out and recharged. I went by the CDJ dealership today and a nice guy came out and listened and looked (for free) and said something to do with a fan. I had a fan assembly (or something, forget the exact terminology) replaced when my car overheated about a month ago, the fan wasn't working at all at this point, and the needle when all the way to the red and the light came on (on the freeway, 95 degrees outside). The dealership guy tells me the fan assembly is aftermarket. I dont know if this makes a difference, but I was told it was coming from the CDJ dealership, so somebody lied to me. When I cut on the a/c, it takes a moment for the fan to come on, then the 2 second on/off deal starts with the compressor.

In any case, I'm trying to figure out what could be the real problem instead of throwing money at possible scenarios. All else is well with the car, no performance issues other than the a/c. I normally wouldn't care, but we have humid heat. I don't want to pass out behind the wheel. Way too hot and my car is my office.

I read another thread here that sounds similar to my issue in a way, but didn't want to hijack the thread. I've had the car a short time, so I havent done much to the car, other than getting that fan assembly thing replaced.

2004 GT
Old 08 Jul 2013, 01:18 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: possible a/c issue

anybody?

2004 GT