Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2013, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating issue

Hello everyone, I have used these forums in the past and they have always been helpful, so here is hoping someone smarter than me can help me figure out the root cause of my issue.

2001 PT Cruiser, 120,xxx. Overheating during normal driving around town speeds and traffic. Does not overheat at highway speeds.

Coolant boils in the bottle when overheating, turning on the heater does cool it back down to middle of temp gauge. When it starts to overheat antifreeze smell comes into the cab through the vents. Not leaking any coolant onto the ground. The only time it starts to steam up is when the fluid bubbles out of the tank onto the back of the engine and the exhaust.

I have replaced the thermostat to one of those that is supposed to remain open when it runs hot, and have replaced the radiator cap. The fans both kick on, the low side kicks on when it starts to approach the middle of the temp gauge, and will kick on and off normally when it has reached normal range. When I kick on the AC the fan will kick on as well. I can hear the fan running in the car when it starts to overheat.

I also have done a radiator flush. The fluid looked pretty decent coming out, did not notice any gunk. There is not any build up of any type around the radiator cap or the filler neck.

I am really at a loss here and am starting to fear that I prob have either a head gasket or cracked head issue. Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Last edited by airnut22; 08 Jul 2013 at 01:58 pm.
Old 08 Jul 2013, 02:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating issue

did you do the radiator flush or have a shop do it? it sounds like there's air in the system. sometimes it has to be bled a few times to get all the air out.
Old 08 Jul 2013, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did it myself, and bled it until it was straight antifreeze coming out. I do know they are a pain to get fully *burped* and would not put it past me to have missed something.

The overheating issue was the reason why I did the flush in the first place, so I am not sure how it would have gotten air in it to begin with. :/
Old 08 Jul 2013, 04:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

when i replaced the thermostat on both my cars i also replaced the thermostat housings, just in case they had a small crack in 'em. they were less than $15.00 apiece on amazon. and, of course, reburped many times.

so far, no overheating issues. been about a month on the '01 and about 6 months on the '02.

i wish you luck. it's a real nightmare diagnoseing overheating issues.
Old 08 Jul 2013, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will give it a shot to see what happens. At this point I do not know what to even try.

Something else I thought of is sometimes after I have topped off the antifreeze the temp gauge will not raise very much at all, like just out of the blue. I have driven 45 miles or so before it would even rise to the half way point.

Old 09 Jul 2013, 06:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

The coolant has boiled in the bottle just a couple times without the car showing it is overheating as well. Any other ideas? I am going to try the thermostat housing.
Old 09 Jul 2013, 07:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by airnut22 View Post

Something else I thought of is sometimes after I have topped off the antifreeze the temp gauge will not raise very much at all, like just out of the blue. I have driven 45 miles or so before it would even rise to the half way point.

Usually an indication of low coolant level or air in the system.
Old 09 Jul 2013, 07:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Two people for air in system. I really hope that it is it. I will work on it this evening and reply back with what I find.