Advertisements
My Cruiser is not very cool

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pingis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2013, 12:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My Cruiser is not very cool

Hi all. I just got back from a 1200+ mile trip through Sweden, Denmark and Germany. The Cruiser did its job very well apart from one thing: All the way driving down through Sweden the temperature gauge was sitting pefectly in the middle of the scale. Just as we started to drive around 60 mph on a Danish highway the gauge went up a bit. Nothing alarming but a bit too high. We went into a town and instantly as i drove the Cruiser slowly in the town and waiting for red lights to turn green the temperature was back to normal. Then we spent a couple of days cruising in Germany, low speeds in towns and cities and around 55 mph on highways and had no troubles at all. Yesterday the temperature started to rise again and I went into a town for a while (where I guess a car with this kind of problem would normally totally overheat) and everything was fine again. Today as we were going up some really steep hills the gauge started climbing again and was close to the red area when I drove in to a gas station and had a cup of coffee so the PT could cool itself down. After that we chose some really small and slow (but oh so scenic) country roads and at about 40 mph we made it home. I heard the fan go on in city traffic so it should be okay. What could cause this behaviour? The radiator cap? Something else? The coolant is fine, the water pump is brand new. Any ideas before I start investigating would be appreciated.
Old 09 Jul 2013, 01:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: My Cruiser is not very cool

Because you say work has been done recently on the cooling system, first check to be sure there is no pockets of air in the system. The cooling system is designed to be 100% coolant, under pressure when hot. Any air pockets and/or a leak such as a failing radiator cap will allow the coolant to boil and not operate properly. With everything cooled down you may open the radiator cap to check the level and add more if required. It's not a bad idea to go ahead and get a new radiator cap which is cheap and just as easy as having the old one pressure tested. Also the recovery tank should be at the level marked on the tank for when the system is cold.

If that all seems good then next the thermostat should be checked (or replaced). The fan operation could be the problem but from what you describe, it seems to be functioning alright. 90% of the time it's the old air pocket syndrome and thus easy to fix. I hope that's true in your case.
Old 09 Jul 2013, 02:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you so much 2step for the quick reply. When I was replacing the water pump and timing belt I got the wrong parts so I installed the water pump a few days before I could actually start the engine. During those days I was waiting for the last correct part I filled up the radiator, saw bubbles escaping, filled some more coolant, saw more bubbles... While I was doing this the car was leaning to the left so I really think all possible air bubbles should have vanished. After this the car has done more than a thousand miles so I think that should have helped any remaining bubbles to get out of the system. Or am I forgetting something I should have done? I will try to get a radiator cap tomorrow. Finding that in my little hometown in Sweden might not be that easy. Perhaps I will have to order one on the internet.
Old 09 Jul 2013, 04:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: My Cruiser is not very cool

All air must be removed from the top of the cyl head to get maximum cooling.....I think Chromenut has a Chrysler explanation of how it works after you 'burp' the cooling system.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 12:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Today I went to the local junk yard since it is sooo much closer than the nearest Chrysler dealer. At the junk yard there is only one PTC but I only needed one part from one car. That poor car had been badly crashed but the radiator cap looked fine. Strange - my old cap is black with yellow text on it and the "new" cap is made of shiny metal looking much more old school. I removed my old cap before I went to the junk yard and the coolant level looked fine. I started the car, reversed it for ten seconds and drove another car to the junk yard. When I came back home and opened the cap a second time a half inch of coolant was missing so obviously I must have had trapped air somewhere. I put the new cap on and took a one hour ride doing up to 75 mph and the temperature gauge was staying exactly where I wanted it all the time so I guess the problem is solved.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 03:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Back when I first bought my new 2003 Turbo it had an intermittent fan problem.
The fan would intermittently not work. It was something to do with a ground wire on the fan I believe.
GT Turbo Inferno Red Loaded, Chrome Grill, Billet Fuel Door,Blanes Hood Struts,Chrome side spears & shorty antenna, K&N, MGW chrome a/c knobs,lock pins,PT lighter, Eject power plug and GT plate frame, Weathertech Visors, PT MudFlaps,Alpine Stereo&Amps MB Quart & JLSub, BTG Intake, ShadowDot center console cover