Advertisements
Got my Stolen PT Back - Now what..?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2013, 03:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Got my Stolen PT Back - Now what..?

About two months ago I was the victim of a burglary where the thieves took my beloved PT Cruiser, among other things. I had only purchased the car a week or so before. 2001 Base model. Simple, But It was what I wanted..

Earlier today I got a phone call saying my car had been found in a parking lot near my home and had been sitting for two months. I found my PT in relatively decent condition.. As decent as one could find a stolen car that's been sitting for two months.

The thieves who were kind enough to steal it, were also kind to throw the keys away and lock the car. However in this period of time my drivers side rear window was smashed out, my radio stolen, and someone has attempted to steal my car - again..

The replacement key I have will not turn the ignition, It wont even budge. The steering wheel trim is gone and it looks like they tried to start it with pliers of some sort.

Can I push in the tab and pull out the cylinder to get my ignition to turn over with a flathead of some sort, maybe another item? I tried a set of lockout keys to no avail. The steering wheel is also unlocked and turns freely.

I dont believe the car is immobilizer equipped, seeing as I didn't have it for very long..

I think It can drive away after a good jumpstart, But I can't quite figure it out.

Thanks!

Cruiser'in to nowhere..
Old 10 Jul 2013, 03:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Got my Stolen PT Back - Now what..?

if you have a black key then you dont have an immobilizer. If the coulmn isnt that bad then you could probably just get a new key switch. Where are you located?

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 10 Jul 2013, 09:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

I live in the East Bay Area.

The problem is that I need to move the car myself, The PD won't because the lot it is on is private property. If it was ditched on a street they would have towed it to impound, But it's been in a lot so they haven't bothered. I need to jumpstart the car and move it out of there.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 11:48 am
Banned

File it under your insurance and let them tow it, replace your radio, broken glass and broken column and replace the keys with a working set.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 01:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserinNowhere View Post
Can I push in the tab and pull out the cylinder
you cannot push in the tab without inserting and turning the key. instead you should go to the hardware store and buy a security bit set(see attached photo). with this, you will be able to remove the electrical portion of the ignition switch and turn it with a screwdriver.

before driving the car, you make damn sure the steering lock is not going to engage and make you crash. it sounds like it's already broken, but by all means, make sure.

easiest method to get the lock out of the column is with a slide hammer. screw it in, yank it out. this is how i remove them when i steal cars. it's easy and works every time....but a better method would be to drill the peg out and then gently remove it by hand so you dont damage the column.

or if you have full coverage, do as Busa suggests instead:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
File it under your insurance and let them tow it, replace your radio, broken glass and broken column and replace the keys with a working set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (56.6 KB, 14 views)
randyincctx likes this.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 01:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Got my Stolen PT Back - Now what..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
easiest method to get the lock out of the column is with a slide hammer. screw it in, yank it out. this is how i remove them when i steal cars. it's easy and works every time....
Good advertisment!.....lmao
rob342 likes this.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks

Im glad the damage to my car wasn't worse, But whoever stole the radio obviously came back for other stuff. My glovebox was ripped open.

They also left some weird stuff. Two pairs of shoes, a gray shirt, a bag of laundry powder, and various nothings.. Im thinking they drove it around before ditching it. My engine is intact and the battery is even still in there!
Old 10 Jul 2013, 03:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can buy new lock stuff if it isn't destroyed were they go covers are availabile used . What color you need? eBay not the dealer.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jul 2013, 07:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Got my Stolen PT Back - Now what..?

If they didn't 'crack' the metal that surrounds where the cylinder goes you could get a replacement cylinder kit from Doorman 'http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._cylinder.html' it comes with enough tumblers to do any combination;The only problem is.....You don't have your old one to transfer the combination,so it'd be like working a Rubik's Cube or a general crapshoot;Also there's a chance your local DC 'parts dept.' can cut keys based on your Vin#....So,maybe they might know the combo based on that(1-2-3-4/4-3-2-1?).....Or You could remove the tumblers from any cylinder that fits,and your old key will work in it and your doors;Downside is: ANY Chrysler key will also start your car(including a BLANK)......Just trying to give you plenty of options;But,I do agree with talking to your insurance company.(If possible?)....Good Luck on whatever you decide,and sorry your baby got 'jacked' in the first place.

Last edited by randyincctx; 10 Jul 2013 at 07:46 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 10:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Nice.... your car thieves wash their clothes? Luxury!
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.