Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Busa_Powered
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2013, 11:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cooling Delema

Hello All,

I have a 2004 Turbo that I bought used 6 months ago. It runs very well, but has developed an overheating problem. It has 80k on it and the coolant was brown, probably never changed. I removed the thermostat and put the neck back on with the tstat gasket. Then with the pressure cap off and a garden hose in the neck, I opened the petcock and started the engine. I ran it for 20 minutes until l the water coming out of the petcock was clear. I filled the system with water and flushing fluid.

I took the car on a 30 mile run at highway speed. The gauge stayed right on the middle line for 25 miles, then started to rise. I flushed the system again, installed a new tstat, and filled with coolant mix. Again, the gauge stayed right in the middle for about 25 miles and then started to rise.

It is not loosing fluid. The fan comes on when it reaches operating temperature. The AC is not running. The upper radiator hose was disconnected when I removed the tstat and was it showed no signs of any gunk.

Now when I take it out, the temp climbs after a few miles. Turning on the heater brings it back to operating temp and it can be driven under any conditions as long as the heater is on.

The strange part is this: If I turn off the heater and the temp starts to rise, I then pull over and let the car idle, the temp will fall back to normal. The car will idle all day without the temp rising, even with the heater off and the AC on. I was stuck in stop and go traffic on I-95 and the temp never moved with the heater off.

Where would you start looking? Are there any electronic sensors or controls on it that could be causing this? I'm looking for any insight on this before I start tearing it down and replacing parts. Thanks!

Last edited by genther; 12 Jul 2013 at 12:17 pm.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 11:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Cooling Delema

Make sure you do a good job of burping the system of all the trapped air. Sometimes it needs two or three times to get all the air out of the system...........What type of coolant did you use after flushing?.....You are aware DC recommends using only HOAT coolant.Why HOAT? The PT radiator coolant thread...
Old 12 Jul 2013, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Cooling Delema

Thank you for replying. I removed the bleeder under the thermostat an had it parked on a hill with the passenger tire on the curb during the fill. The filler neck was the highest point of the system by quite a bit. What is your method of burping?
Old 12 Jul 2013, 01:23 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Cooling Delema

Welcome to the forum.

Six months ago, where have you been?

The forum is just more than just a solution to your problem

Dont just leave when get your answer

Post pics of your PT
randyincctx likes this.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 06:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Dont just leave when get your answer
At least leave a $20 bill on the nightstand first!....lmaoj/k....This thread should help you out: Bleeding air from cooling system(there is a photo & link in it.)
Old 12 Jul 2013, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for checking back. I bled the system completely and am sure it is completely full. The fan is variable speed and that is working. The heater pumps out very hot air and keeps the car at proper temp, so the pump is doing its job. Could it be the radiator? I question this because I feel that would have been an increasing problem over a period of time. We went to running fine, to overheating in a moment, which suggests to me a failure of some kind, not a radiator clogging.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 07:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sometimes trapped air in the coolant system is only one of a few different reasons why the PT overheats...A bad thermostat, a clogged radiator, a cracked head or head gasket and the most common reason a PT Cruiser overheats is a bad radiator fan motor.....
CREWZIN likes this.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 10:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Sometimes trapped air in the coolant system is only one of a few different reasons why the PT overheats...A bad thermostat, a clogged radiator, a cracked head or head gasket and the most common reason a PT Cruiser overheats is a bad radiator fan motor.....
The Tstat is new. The radiator looks clean viewed from the bottom hose inlet. If the head was cracked it would be losing coolant, which it isn't. Same for the head gasket. The fan is variable speed for the turbo and it is working. I am very perplexed!
Old 22 Jul 2013, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2003 turbo, and it is doing the same thing. It is odd at a light it cools, but going down the road it gets hot. There is gunk inside my cooling system though. I think somebody mixed the different types of antifreeze. I have flushed, but it seems to need a acid to cut through the gunk. Any suggestions?