PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Error Code 0340, changed Cam Sensor, still won't start

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2013, 05:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Error Code 0340, changed Cam Sensor, still won't start

I have a 2005 2.4L non-turbo that won't start and has error code P0340 (again). I have had plugs replaced because it was running rough (P0301 and P0303 codes). Fixed problem for about 30 days, I took it back (for same issue) and they replaced the plug wires (they tested OK the first time). Ran great until ...

About 2 weeks later the engine light came on, and in about 10 seconds it died on the road. We towed it home (about 1.5 miles) in neutral. It showed P0340 (Cam Sensor) and I replaced it (from the info I got here - Thanks!). Still wouldn't start, tried to jump, but decided to re-charge battery overnight.

Next day, battery charged, and reconnected, but still wouldn't start. (code 0340 again). Being as insane as I am, did same thing expecting something different. Took it all off again, disconnected battery to re-set codes, checked the connection to the sensor (looks clean), the wires look ok (not cracked, hard, or look like they touched anything but air, but the plastic cover is gone, except at the ends (not near the coolant hoses). Put it all back together and it won't start. Any ideas on what I might have missed or don't see? Trying not to take it to Chrysler dealer again (they keep it hostage for 3 weeks before they get to it).
Old 12 Jul 2013, 06:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Error Code 0340, changed Cam Sensor, still won't start

Have you checked to see if the 'internal' camshaft sensor magnet may be bad?
Old 12 Jul 2013, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Error Code 0340, changed Cam Sensor, still won't start

As was stated by Randy, replace the Target Magnet that's inside the whole where the Camshaft sensor is.

ALSO......
You said you checked the wires. Did you check all the way around the back of the engine where the wiring harness goes starting from the sensor. There's a couple of us (including me) who had the Camshaft wiring harness break away from the engine block, where it's attached by $.02 plastic tabs, and it let the harness hang low enough to touch the spinning half shaft, burning through the harness outer casing and breaking the internal wires thereby stopping the camshaft signal going to the PCM.
randyincctx likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Jul 2013 at 06:26 pm.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I can't find how to check that magnet. Is it as easy as taking off the sensor and pulling out the round black thing? (Sorry I lack the mechanic-speak). If you know of a video, I'd appreciate it! Oops, we were both typing at same time. Lemmie check. Ok I have it out and will replace it. The magnet kinda wants to hang on to a screwdriver, but not strong. The wiring harness looks intact and clipped where I would expect it to be. Thanks Crwezin and Randy. Off to parts store.

Last edited by dave44602; 12 Jul 2013 at 06:43 pm.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 06:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, I posted a picture of it, probably after you posted. You can see how it goes inside....and NO, there's no way to check it. Just get a new one next time your at the dealer.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 06:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Error Code 0340, changed Cam Sensor, still won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
As was stated by Randy, replace the Target Magnet that's inside the whole where the Camshaft sensor is.
I'm learning......(That way I know before I have to deal with these things firsthand!)
Old 13 Jul 2013, 01:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

are we sure it's not a timing belt?
Old 13 Jul 2013, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterrichie View Post
are we sure it's not a timing belt?
Good question. Sometimes either the Camshaft sensor code or the Crankshaft sensor code or both come on when the belt breaks. Dave, what kind of mileage does your cruiser have???
Old 13 Jul 2013, 07:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

130,000 miles. Went to dealer this morning and got the magnet (after reading here, didn't buy any after market parts). Still won't start.

The timing belt was the last item on my replacement part list. Bought the cruiser at 100,000 (right at the "change the belt time" I've learned) and not sure they changed the belt (or water pump) but that's not a job I have the space or expertise to do. That I'll have to take to the shop.

Would like your opinion. I owe about $4000 still on the car, would it be a good idea to get the belt & pump changed or should I just cut my losses and trade it in? Is the expense worth the time left on it?

I was thinking about keeping the cruiser as a 2nd car for local trips to town and such. I see why you'all like these cars so much. A little better on the design end on Chrysler's part I'd actually buy a new one.

I really appreciate all the advise and help you've given.

- Dave
Old 13 Jul 2013, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That trading in part is completely up to you. The cruiser will go 200,000 and beyond if taken care of.

Right now, take the Camshaft sensor off and have someone try and start the car. Look inside the hole where the sensor was while the engine is turning over (trying to start) and see if anything is turning. If it's at a dead stand still with nothing turning, the timing belt has broke.
randyincctx likes this.