PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No cold a/c and my cooling fan doesn't come on - 2006 pt cruiser

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2013, 09:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default No cold a/c and my cooling fan doesn't come on - 2006 pt cruiser

I have no cold a/c, cooling fan doesn't come on and my car does NOT overheat.

So my mechanic is already complaining that PT Cruisers are the worst to work on. He says it's either an electric problem or a bad cooling fan. That either way it's going to be super-expensive ($1,000) and massive labor to pull out my dashboard to check the electric or pull out the front to replace the cooling fan.

He gave me an either or 'estimate'. I'm so bummed about this. Is there any other possible cause? I can't invest $1,000 in a 2006 car.

The a/c works but doesn't blow cold air. There is no leak. While my mechanic added coolant again with the car on, he noticed the car 'tremble' and the cooling fan not coming on. He was surprised that my car doesn't overheat. It never has. The temp gauge has never increased either and the car runs really well. It's just that I have no cold ac.

Thanks!
Old 13 Jul 2013, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No cold a/c and my cooling fan doesn't come on - 2006 pt cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, we've seen this problem many, many times and once in awhile, like yours, it doesn't overheat, but if the fan isn't coming on, the compressor overheats, the engine shutters and you have no cold air.

Not sure why your mechanic is talking about pulling apart the dash but I'd stay away from him. Unless your leaking coolant into the interior of the car, or there's no air flow at all in the interior, there's no reason to go near the dash.

Both the dealer and YOUR mechanic charge an exorbitant amount of money to buy and replace the fan. The whole new fan and fan housing can be bought for about $100 and it can be put in in about 2 hours or less. Try and ask around for a trustworthy mechanic that won't take you to the cleaners just for replacing the fan. If you know or find someone that does work on the side, you can buy the fan and show him this forum on how to replace it Doesn't need to be a mechanic, just someone that doesn't mind getting his hands dirty and has some basic tools. Here's the link on how to replace the fan. It's for the first generation (00-05) cruisers but it's the same principle on the newer PT's.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
randyincctx likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Jul 2013 at 10:15 am.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 10:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: No cold a/c and my cooling fan doesn't come on - 2006 pt cruiser

First off;I personally believe your mechanic 'inflated' that estimate a little(or alot?)maybe because he just doesn't want to work on your PT......Second;I would find another mechanic and get another estimate,preferably from a mechanic that is more familiar with PT's and actually likes to work on them.....JMHO
Old 13 Jul 2013, 10:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: No cold a/c and my cooling fan doesn't come on - 2006 pt cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Try and ask around for a trustworthy mechanic that won't take you to the cleaners just for replacing the fan.
CREWZIN was just a little faster on the trigger than I was....lol
Old 13 Jul 2013, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just did this myself

I believe on a 2006 (I have a 2007) there are two relays that control the high and low speed operation of the fan. These relays are located on the radiator shroud assembly, passenger side. (two black plastic cubes)

there are 4 wires going to each:
2 are 12vdc
1 is control ground
1 goes to the fan motor

the relay has a diagram of the wiring pinout printed on it

This is a simple check so have someone with auto experience pop them off and;
a. check for 12vdc on two of the wires
b. make a jumper wire going to the battery and the fan wire for each relay connector -> the fan should kick on both times. if the fan doesn't kick on, either fan wire, then you (most likely) have a bad fan (one of the bushings is bad)

if the fan does comes on then you (most likely) have a bad relay. swap the relays and see if the fan comes on during low speed operation.

my low speed fan relay was bad and after verifying the fan was good, I swapped the relays to get my AC working again (I had to recharge the AC because the no fan condition had forced the AC to overpressure vent Freon)

the relays are identical
Old 16 Jul 2013, 04:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you!

I am printing out these responses and handing them to my boyfriend so he and his coworker, a retired mechanic, can work on the advice you gave me. Thanks!!
Old 19 Jul 2013, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just replaced the cooling fan assembly myself. It took me approximately three-four hours because I'm not a mechanic, repaired battery cables,etc and the bottom radiator support was bent from someone before me had tried a jack there?. Unbolted it and hammered it straight. No special tools and plenty of info on the net to get you past the basics. RockAuto.com was where I bought the fan and motor assembly, with shipping $88.00. Be prepared for some rusty bolts when removing battery box and lower air box will need to be removed. Final note: Electric connection to the motor has a red slider lock, so push it the opposite direction to unlock it. (Should not come out.)
Ben
Old 19 Jul 2013, 11:18 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlburns View Post
Final note: Electric connection to the motor has a red slider lock, so push it the opposite direction to unlock it.
This type of RED slide-lock connector is utilized for most electrical connections in the engine compartment on PT Cruisers(Makes them all but impossible to come undone accidentally!)......
This is an example: 2008pt_crank_pos_sen.jpg <----(Crankshaft Position Sensor connector)
Old 22 Jul 2013, 04:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Ana; mine is an 06 non-turbo. With a cold engine, left knob at 10 o'clock, fan on second speed, temp on cold. Start the engine. Push a/c button [the yellow light will come on]. Within seconds the a/c compressor should start [you'll hear the engine strain a little]. After a few more seconds the radiator fan should kick into hi-speed. You should hear it running. If not:

Turn off a/c and wait for the engine to heat up. Open the hood and look at the fan blades with a good flashlight. When the temp gage reaches close to half the low speed should start. As the temp increases to half way, the high speed should kick in. [A short ride may be necessary to heat the engine]. If both speeds work, then your fan and relays are ok [for now].

The radiator fan is turned on by the hi-pressure switch of the a/c system. It is independent of the engine temperature. It is located on the compressor. It sends a signal to the pcm to the tipm to the fan relays.

The fan relays have two 4 wire connectors. A large ground wire, a large 'hot' wire, and two small coil energizing wires for the hi and lo speed relays.

good luck.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had this exact problem. A new fan plus a/c recharge and was $450. The car did start to shutter when idling too. It's a good thing work is only 5 minute minutes away.