PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt replacement and head removal

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2013, 04:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Timing belt replacement and head removal

Are the Hanes manuals any good for the PT? I need a little more guidance than the "How To's" are giving me. I also need torque sequence and values.

I have most of the job done at this point. I still need to remove the harmonic balancer, I am also having problems getting the huge bracket (crank damper?) out. I am hoping removing the balancer and lower timing cover will allow it to come out?

What a horrible job this is on the PT, the engineers could not ave made this more of a pain if they tried......
Old 13 Jul 2013, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt replacement and head removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32seventeen View Post
Are the Hanes manuals any good for the PT? I need a little more guidance than the "How To's" are giving me. I also need torque sequence and values.

I have most of the job done at this point. I still need to remove the harmonic balancer, I am also having problems getting the huge bracket (crank damper?) out. I am hoping removing the balancer and lower timing cover will allow it to come out?

What a horrible job this is on the PT, the engineers could not ave made this more of a pain if they tried......
HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions

These are what I used to do the job. Haynes is good for the torque setting. But the bracket has to come out the top.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Jul 2013, 05:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, I read those two. I removed the headlight too, to get more access. The bracket is now stuck in the headlight hole. I guess it's harmless and out of the way in there. So, I might just leave it? I'm now on to lining up the timing marks.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yeah, I read those two. I removed the headlight too, to get more access. The bracket is now stuck in the headlight hole. I guess it's harmless and out of the way in there. So, I might just leave it? I'm now on to lining up the timing marks.
The bracket has to come out the top. It takes some turning around. When you get the marks lined up. Mark you a dot on the belt and sprockets. One on each of the three. These dots do not have to be near the regular timing marks. Then transfer these dots to the new belt very carefully. This will help you when you put the belt back on. If the dots line up and the marks line up you can't be wrong. Take pictures of the belt and line up marks to refer to later if you need to.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Jul 2013, 06:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Why do I have to take it out. Why can't it hang out on the headlight hole?

Nice tip on the timing belt marks. I never tried that before. so

Perfect timing on that tip too, I just got done lining up all the marks. The cam wheel marks make a horizontal line, correct?

I may call it a day, I don't think it will take much longer to get the head off from here. My goal is to get it removed by the end of the weekend so I can take it to be machined Monday morning.

Last edited by 32seventeen; 13 Jul 2013 at 06:16 pm.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 06:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Why do I have to take it out. Why can't it hang out on the headlight hole?

Nice tip on the timing belt marks. I never tried that before. so

Perfect timing on that tip too, I just got done lining up all the marks. The cam wheel marks make a horizontal line, correct?

I may call it a day, I don't think it will take much longer to get the head off from here. My goal is to get it removed by the end of the weekend so I can take it to be machined Monday morning.
If its not bl;ocking your access then don't worry about it. Yes, top marks line straight through the center of the cam bolts.
just curios what is wrong with your head?

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jul 2013, 08:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
just curios what is wrong with your head?
We started to see oil in the coolant, then when my daughter was driving it home the other day it started blowing all the coolant out of the overflow tank along with about two quarts of oil and then it overheated in a big way.... she called me from the starbucks saying it was smoking like crazy under the hood and the temp gauge was pegged. I towed it home with my Ram truck on Friday.

I figured that has to be a head gasket. It's also due for timing belt. It has 90k on it.

I ordered a timing belt, water pump, tensioner, thermostat, and a full gasket set.

It already has a set of new hoses and a new electric fan, those were replace less than a year ago.

Last edited by 32seventeen; 14 Jul 2013 at 08:22 am.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
We started to see oil in the coolant, then when my daughter was driving it home the other day it started blowing all the coolant out of the overflow tank along with about two quarts of oil and then it overheated in a big way.... she called me from the starbucks saying it was smoking like crazy under the hood and the temp gauge was pegged. I towed it home with my Ram truck on Friday.

I figured that has to be a head gasket. It's also due for timing belt. It has 90k on it.

I ordered a timing belt, water pump, tensioner, thermostat, and a full gasket set.

It already has a set of new hoses and a new electric fan, those were replace less than a year ago.
Yep the heat will do it. Check for cam rock before you take it in. After it's removed of course. If the exhaust cam titters back and forth in the head. you will need to go with a replacement head. This usually happens the other way around when it happens. Will be looking for you updates. Hope thing go smooth for you.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jul 2013, 01:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Yep the heat will do it. Check for cam rock before you take it in. After it's removed of course. If the exhaust cam titters back and forth in the head. you will need to go with a replacement head. This usually happens the other way around when it happens. Will be looking for you updates. Hope thing go smooth for you.
I'm not sure what you mean by cam rock? Also, don't I need to remove the cams to get the head off?
Old 14 Jul 2013, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by cam rock? Also, don't I need to remove the cams to get the head off?
When you remove the head, lay the cam back in the head to see if it rocks end to end. If not your golden. This is only caused buy extreme heat.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com